Can't eat gold.

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by John_Doe, May 21, 2011.

1. You should go back and watch The Road Warrior. Tell me what use gold or silver would have been. The valuable commodities will become food, water, fuel, and of course guns and ammo.

In a total collapse of the economy where the dollar becomes as useful as toilet paper, most people are not going to have gold or silver therefore it is going to become completely useless as a currency. Currency is only useful if the majority of the people have at least a small amount and everyone considers it valuable. The new currency would actually become a barter system where only goods that can help in the survival of the people would be considered valuable. Food and water will become top priority for most but anyone without a good strength in numbers and lots of weaponry will find their food and water rapidly stolen by those that have the guns but no food.

#11     May 22, 2011
  2. That is your (unfortunate) choice to make.

#12     May 22, 2011
  3. I live in the real world, not in a Mel Gibson Messiahesque fantasy world.

Apart from that, since I have maintained for a long time that gold isn't all that important in collapse scenarios, why exactly should I be the one to watch it again?

#13     May 22, 2011
  4. The odds are that you, along with your well-ammoed brother, are going to be dead. A collapse of that magnitude will, with certainty, lead to mass starvation, which in turn will lead to population collapse.

#14     May 22, 2011
  5. Which is why learning to grow and/or hunt your own food is paramount for survival. Don't get me wrong I am not some paranoid idiot that is preaching doom and gloom. I enjoy hunting, fishing, and learning how the native Americans lived anyway. I have been doing these things since long before anyone even started worrying about a collapse. I do have to say that it is nice knowing that that I am prepared no mater what happens.

Hell I would even be able to survive a "zombie apocalypse". :D
    http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

#15     May 22, 2011
  6. In your original post you said that you "need all three to survive". That simply isn't true. As I have already said in a collapse scenario gold is going to be worthless since it will not improve survivability. Based on this latest post from you it seems that you agree, so I guess we are on the same page now.

#16     May 22, 2011
  7. The "Native American Way" requires 1% of the current American population density. That means about 300 million dead Americans.

The odds are, plainly and simply, that you will be long dead before the survivors get to kick back with fresh salmon, quality peyote, and massages with happy ending from a pair of busty squaws.

EDIT: self-snip

#17     May 22, 2011
  8. The odds are much more in my favor than that of most of the people who only know how to hunt for meat at the neighborhood grocery store.

#18     May 23, 2011
  9. Good points mav ;
    except prefer primative weapons like .50 muzzzleoaders,
    modern firearms, moreso than bows & arrows. Own all of them.:D

Gold & silver pay no dividends;
    nice long term up trends anyway. Silver still looks like its going down short & medium term trends.

Golden wheat, golden corn, gold trout taste fine;
    short expiry date/not long term investment:D [OK, Alaska wild,silver salmon canned, keeps for a few years.LOL:D

#19     May 23, 2011
  10. olias

olias

#20     May 23, 2011