Can't delete partition XP Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, Jun 3, 2012.

1. alanack

alanack

I have a hard drive I used some time ago to back up my system with, which I now want to add simply for storage. It won't let me delete the partition containing the operating system, hence I am unable to reformat it. Windows states "you cannot delete the system volume, boot volume, or any volume that contains the active paging file or crash dump(memory dump)." I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I just haven't been able to figure it out by my searching. Thanks in advance for any help...

2. 1. Mount the 2nd HDD as the D: drive
    2. Run a Low Level Format utility on D:
    3. Partition D: for storage.

3. eurojack

eurojack

Just use Partition Magic, it's been the best tool for drive formatting since beginning.

4. DBAN will smoke anything you can put at it.

Like Scat said, mount it as other than primary drive and have at it.

5. Mysteron

Mysteron

I used the free version of Killdisc a while back to erase a hidden recovery partition on a HDD that Windows XP couldn't deal with. I recall creating a boot CD with Killdisc on it, so that way Windows didn't start.

6. What brand of HDD is it?

7. 1245

I had the same problem. I tried quick format, regular format, formatting from Win XP disk, removing partitions etc. After 6 hours of different attempts inside and outside the case with every seggestion I could find online, I over wrote the blank sections with CCleaner "wipe free space" and bought a new drive for $50. Tossed the old one in the trash. Was not worth my time.

8. Whatever brand it is it will have a disk utility on the manufacturer's website (like how seagate has seatools). Just download that and install - zero write your disk and you will be good to go... WD has one, Fijitsu and Hatachi also

9. try a elevated command prompt and the diskpart command.

>diskpart
    >list disk
    >select disk #
    >clean
    >exit

10. alanack

alanack

Thanks for all the replies, I haven't really had a chance to look at them yet... so any additional ideas would still be appreciated. The second drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9.

#10     Jun 3, 2012