Can't access IB anyone else having probs?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by empee, Oct 31, 2007.

1. gangof4

gangof4

Kiwi.

not sure which version i'm running as i don't think it shows anywhere except in TWS when it's launched (when the ?????'s are there, there are no menus or anything- no way to check). it is a couple of versions back, as the most recent version still has the problem with stop limit orders.

re: $3m- sorry, maybe it's just a US thing, but in the finance world, 'm' = 1000, 'mm'= million ('k' isn't used).

#41     Nov 1, 2007
  2. gangof4

gangof4

thanks for the java version- based on past IB experience, i have hesitated to use current java version. i'll download it given your data point.

even the lastest stand alone has that problem where stop limits will not take except when the limit is the same as the stop (worthless, as you know trading HK- so i have to drag the limit to where i want it- takes my eye off the ball and has cost me messing with placing my stops while i should be taking my exit). i'll try it again with the upgraded java- doubt it will matter, but ya never know...

btw- have you found the HSI difficult to trade the past several days? i have been having a tough time. this afternoon session was the first time i've had any feel for it since last thursday. ya know things aren't going well when you celebrate being down $800/day! finally actually had a 'P' in my P&L today...

#42     Nov 1, 2007
  3. gangof4

gangof4

my problem with your attack posts is your demeanor and your know-it-all 'i'm right, you're wrong' position when you have no idea what happened to the poster- you're merely speculating and ass u me that your conjured version is FACT.

i know about the check box. it is correct. still, i have had probably 10-15 stops not executed when T&S shows it should have. you put in a trouble ticket and nobody EVER responds. only got 1 taken care of cause i was so pissed i called the CEO. sure enough, they agreed that, according to my log and T&S, i was due and execution and actually made good on the trade. i still have 7 trouble tickets with the same level of documentation (ie: i KNOW i am right) which haven't been responded to. rather than continue calling the CEO, i just moved on to another broker. as soon as i have a broker offering HKFE and SGX, that part will leave IB too.

IB has a lot of positives. the lack of responsiveness to LEGITIMATE issues and to their platform, along with teh snotty attitude 8 of 10 employees give you (you should work for their CS, you'd fit like a glove) is arrogant and assumes that the competition is standing still. the 'tough shit, good luck finding a better alternative' approach is wearing thin and competition is catching up to their offerings.

#43     Nov 1, 2007
  4. Xenia

Xenia

In TWS log file (line #5 or so) you will find TWS version info.

#44     Nov 1, 2007
  5. I dropped HSI at the end of the week before last. I decided it was too psychotic for me and it was a good motivation to try to adapt my method to other contracts.

I have been teaching myself to trade SPI, STW and SGXNK. I've been surprised that I can trade 3 at once (they're so slow) but staying in the trade is an exercise in patience.

Does the web beta still have the stop limit problem with tws's entry platform?

Note: re open e trade, let us know how it goes. They were the bees knees on the Sierra Chart board for a wee while but now seem to have become rather poorly regarded. Maybe you should hold the IB account while you prove out their capability.

#45     Nov 1, 2007
  6. Xenia

Xenia

Try to login, it should work. Although 2 hours ago their US server did not like this version ...

#46     Nov 1, 2007
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

It is my experience that Live Chat is not a reliable way to contact IB. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it is really important, call. Not making excuses for IB - they need to do a better job manning their chat terminals. Just telling you the way it is.

#47     Nov 1, 2007
  8. sprstpd

sprstpd

Yes, this is the problem. For me there is nothing that comes close to IB.

#48     Nov 1, 2007
  9. I like IB and always have. I have never had an execution problem and the only two times I had to use CS email, they responded quickly. That's over more than 6 years and more than 10,000 stock, option and futures trades.

That being said, the only thing that bugs me is the constant TWS/API upgrade tweeks. This has only caused me a few headaches and virtually no downtime, and mine worked fine the last couple days. But cummon, IB software mngmnt, this has to stop.

Most complaints and CS hits happen after one of these illadvised "upgrades". You just don't take a stable system, that many use for income, and tweek with the f*cker every month.

Every 6 months maybe, after 6 months of hardcore testing. Then, make the upgrade OPTIONAL. Traders don't like to change.

IB SW devel: SEI CMM level ???

#49     Nov 1, 2007
  10. #50     Nov 1, 2007