Canslim

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Baruch, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

These are my most recent stock trades using CANSLIM. I have pretty much been doing this for my own longer term stuff (longer term for me meaning over a few days anyway ) and for a small managed account. So far I have had my best year ever with it and I like it.

Brandon

#31     Dec 27, 2003
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I got out at $9.90 just coz once a stock is above $10 I always tend to think of it as a strong point that Id not like to see it break..so when it did break it I just got out.

Personally I have not had very good luck with the cup and handle pattern, so I dont use it much. Id just rather look at a chart and see a nice base or a flag, something like that gets me a lot more excited than Cup with Handle. I think too many people watch it, so there is too much incentive to screw with it now. Thats only my opinion though, and others have great luck with the cup and handle...Im just not one of them.

Brandon

#32     Dec 27, 2003
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I was not going to post this one..but I just will and not put in the symbol. The reason I was reluctant is that it trades about 1000 shares a day, sometimes its trade 100 and sometimes not any at all. I have more shares then Id want to have to get out of all at once, but given the execution risk its still a very small position.

The company grew its earnings at 998% last quarter, 550% the quarter before that, 173% before that and 273% before that. Its a good example of why I dont look at RS though, as its RS rating at the time I got in was only 28. I am long from an average of $9.12 per share and am up about $1 right now.

Brandon

#33     Dec 27, 2003
  4. Ahhh ... that's more of what I was looking for. I'd rather go in on something that's a little less subjective. I was thinking about resubscribing to IBD to see if I could make something work for my longer term investments as well.

#34     Dec 27, 2003
  5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

One of the areas aside from RS that I tend to not exactly follow O'Neil on is PE ratio. I am by no means a value investor, but I like to see some sort of value component in a stock I am buying. One of the filters that I use is that the PE on the stock can not be more than 10% above that of the SP500, and my preferance is to see it at no more than 2/3 of the SPs overall PE.

Brandon

#35     Dec 27, 2003
  6. tiocsti

tiocsti

I don't use CANSLIM but I use a method highly-correlated with it, but using different technical criteria and a lot more risk management. It's done well over the past 3 years. Long term canslim performance has also done will since 1997 when AAII started tracking it (along with many other mechanical systems).

I can't speak to canslim.net specifically, but I would suspect that if their picks are canslim based, that their returns would highly correlate with the aaii returns for the canslim methodology.

From AAII:

2000 38%
    2001 54.4%
    First half 2002 15.4%

Note that the AAII model has no market timing element, so it can not implement the 'M' part of CANSLIM. This likely impacts performance in a negative way. Eyeballing the chart going to June 03, the performance looks great (which would match well with my results for this year). Overbought RSI is irrelevant, in my view. The only relevant factor is: does the system make money if followed. The indication seems to be yes, it does.

Again, I have no experience with canslim.net specifically, and am speaking of the canslim methodology in a general way.

#36     Dec 27, 2003
  7. tiocsti

tiocsti

I don't use the cup & handle formation, as it's subjective. I've replaced some of the canslim criteria with other technical criteria. I don't use follow through days or distribution days either, I have other market timing criteria.

The basic concepts of canslim I have not changed though. Just modified some of the technical criteria and added a bit more in terms of risk management and positional sizing (mostly using fixed fractional betting, volatility based stops, a portfolio low water mark to go to cash for a defined period of time a la elder, and a maximum outstanding amount of risk at any one time.

WON's big weakness is in sell rules, he has dozens and dozens of them. The rule of taking most of your profits at 20% unless the stock made that gain in a very short time is a good one I think, but i've just used a simple trailing volatility stop. It's simpler for me to manage that.

#37     Dec 27, 2003
  8. I am a strong supporter of WON's chart reading/TA teachings, however, outside of "top industry group" rating and his proprietary Accumulation/Distribution rating, I don't use his fundamentals.

WON teachs that earnings "makes stocks go up." A pure technician knows that stocks go up due to buying pressure. Why did Joe Public or Big Money buy? Yes, maybe good earnings. Also maybe potential future growth, improvement, etc. Maybe some Inside Skinny. Etc. But the end result is not "why did they buy" but it is "buying is going on, period. End of story."

By monitoring chart action you would see this, in the form of price rise, volume, time itself, etc.

AMR went from $1.50 to $15 on HUGE volume in March/April and started to make new highs. Did AMR fit the WON earnings profile? No.

There are other examples of huge opportunitie stocks that would not fit WON criteria.

Also, WON "shys away from" shorting. A technician trades up and down. Long/short is not an opinion, just a direction. Stay with the trend, etc. Standard trader stuff.

Will you make good profits with WON method? YES. That is documented, yes you will, no discussion.

However I recommend do not be "locked into" WON and be cognizant that other opportunites may exist, especially on the short side.

- PRO-Bill O'Neil but even he can be tricked by the funny-mentals

#38     Dec 28, 2003
  9. As a quickie follow-up, if two equally attractive stocks come across my radar screen I will assess the following criteria:

STOCK A

Industry Group: A+ (top group)
    Accumulation/Distribution: A+ (undergoing strong accumulation by major institutions)

STOCK B

Industry Group: C (middle performing group)
    Acc/Dist: B (undergoing some accumulation)

I this example I will likely purchase stock A, all other things, chart pattern, etc, being equal.

WON and also Weinstein teach that the underlying group/sector are responsible for a large part of a stock's move

anyway, my .02 cents

good luck

#39     Dec 28, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Of course, if you eliminate everything but these two points, what you're doing has very little to do with CANSLIM.

#40     Dec 28, 2003