Canslim

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Baruch, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I have done very well with it this year (CANSLIM) having my best year ever. It will be interesting to see what happens in a bear market. Of course, if you just truely follow what Oneil says you will be in cash during that time. I have modified it somewhat. EPS is very important to me, but RS is not so important. For example on 12-1 I bought EVG even though at the time the RS was I believe around 55. I also like to find stocks that are fairly thin and have a low PE, for example I am long BXX from $9.00 on 11/24 and RBIN from $14.25 on 12/8. I also bought ACH on 11/28 because it had a nice pattern and a very low PE relative to the SP500 and for its growth. I am no longer in ACH though because on 12/10 it had its largest volume of the move on a strong down day so I sold the close. I have looked at CANSLIM.net and do read their free report which I have gotten a few good ideas from it and will probably subscribe here shortly. I think that scanning through the IBD 100 is a good place to look for stocks each weekend if nothing else.
    Brandon

#11     Dec 26, 2003
  2. I stand by the C.A.N.S.L.I.M. system, the most consistent and profitable investment tool i've ever seen and used. And i used to be a broker, provided great consistent returns for my clients, before the market bubble, during, and after.

But, that site is not by Bill O'niel, the guy who made the system. Go to www.investors.com
    thats his site, the owner of Investor's Business Daily.

#12     Dec 26, 2003
  3. Do you folks adhere to his buy and sell rules? More specifically, do you take anything with an 80 or above and wait on a cup and handle formation? It seems like the hardest part of the system is determining whether the cup and handle is a good one or not.

If you deviate from his rules, I'd be interested in hearing what you do. Even if you don't, I'd love to see a chart where you bought and sold.

I've read his book during the bear market days. I never applied any of his techniques in the real world because I didn't like the subjectiveness of the cup and handle.

#13     Dec 27, 2003
  4. A Canslim-metod without the RS? But RS is the center of the system.

#14     Dec 27, 2003
  5. mmillar

mmillar

6. Hi Inandlong,

Your effort to "explain Jack to the people" has to be commended. In fact should we call this inandlong's work or Jack's work?

I must say that I am still left with a lot of hazy mumbo jumbo in Jack's vintage material. Allow me to give you an excerpt in the hope you can help me along a bit:

"The fractal change is based upon statistics that predicate that any loop filibration on one fractal can be terminated on the next faster fractal using the same rules. This is an abstract statistical method based on Alexander’s Method for least connecting systems for optimum system operation. A concurrent theorem on the migration of the market operating point and what the controlling facet is, is what establishes the market as a system of interrelated cells and how that connectedness may be optimized. One of the dimensions of the operating point matrix is the set of fractals."

This is complete hogwash! Don't tell me anybody can beat the market with such dope.

nononsense

#16     Dec 27, 2003
  7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Guess I ruined it then. Off to the gallows.

#17     Dec 27, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Unfortunately, CANSLIM has created a situation over the last twenty years in which prices are driven up in anticipation of earnings. By the time "EPS" is acceptable, the "RS" has priced the stock far beyond where it would have been when CANSLIM was first developed.

Find a year-old copy of IBD and look up those stocks with high EPS that have not begun their ascents. Then note their RS ranks. Applying what you know of charts and chart patterns, find those points at which one would most advantageously enter. You may be surprised.

#18     Dec 27, 2003
  9. This is another reason why I'd like to hear from some canslimmers and talk about their entries and exits. canslim sounds great on paper, but perhaps I'm just too dumb to make it work in the real world.

#19     Dec 27, 2003
  10. The market is one HUGE wave made up of smaller and smaller waves. Each wave can be seen on different fractals. There are waves on the yearly, monthly, weekly, 60 min, 30 min, 5 min, 1 min fractals etc.
    Jack is explaining that if you have a signal on your trading fractal, you can zoom into the next faster fractal too give you an anticipational way too see how the signal is going too turn out on the slower trading fractal.

Your lack of understanding of what Jack sais does not make it hogwash. All this sais is that YOU cannot comprehend what he sais. Nothing more and nothing less. Be at peace nononsense. .......there are people who understand.

#20     Dec 27, 2003