Candle question

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by aliens2, Apr 8, 2017.

1. aliens2

aliens2

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me a little weirdness I saw on one chart. I see a red candle on a weekly chart that is not yet closed. It started flashing from green to red and got my attention. Can someone explain why this bar is red? The current price is at the top of the bar. Isn't this enough for the bar to be green?

I'm attaching 2 screenshots. One with the same candle being red and one with the same candle being green.

I contacted the support of you know who and they said this is perfectly normal and is by design. Can someone please explain this?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. algofy

algofy

If the current price is greater than the open price of the candle, the body color should be green. If current price is below the open, it should be red.

3. Different countries would have different conventions for red or green colours.

Better use black or white candles. Instead.

4. algofy

algofy

Red and green not standard?

5. No, they can have opposite meanings say in China.

However, the OP problem could be due to cutoff timing. I haven't spent time checking the charts yet.

algofy likes this.
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You have data problems because in one chart the Open is equal or almost equal to the Close of the prior interval. In the other chart, the Open is "below" the Close of the prior interval.

I use to use a data vendor name Qcharts many years ago before eSignal purchased it. Qcharts use to do the same thing on monthly, weekly, daily and intraday charts. I called their tech departments many times and they use to say the data was correcting itself.

That sucks not just for traders that preferred candlestick charts...it was also the same problem for traders that used bar charts. Simply, if your trade decisions are based on accurate data and the data vendor is doing corrections that changes the bar/candlestick chart without them notifying you that there was a correction in the data inputs...

Basically you're making trade decisions off of bad data without any warnings/alerts. That sucks especially when you're talking to other traders in real time and they don't have the same data...you and your buddies can't agree on trade signals or the data. One person doesn't understand why someone took a trade when the others don't have the same data. :mad:

I recommend if this becomes a consistent problem for you...find another data vendor.

P.S. Its common for different data providers not the have the same data. The higher tier data providers (higher cost) tend to have the most accurate data in comparison to lower tier data providers (free to low cost).

P.S.S. I remember once in ET chat room when they had a chat room...traders arguing about the candlestick pattern or bar chart pattern. Those arguing were using different data vendors in comparison to each other. The problem was simple...they compared their Open, Close inputs and sometimes they were different to the other person.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. doggyfx

doggyfx

Which software do you use? clearly not MT4 or Ninjatrader, looks like some obsolete stuff... or?

8. aliens2

aliens2

This is Interactive Brokers. So someone got any plausible explanation? I can't find any. Prior bar shouldn't have any effect, right?

9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Use this forum search feature...there's been prior discussions about how Interactive Brokers filters or does something odd with their data.

Also, slightly different topic...many data providers way show difference int their Times & Sales info. For example, one may show the T&S with a 10 contract buy @ 10:05:03 while another broker or data provider shows 5 contracts and then another 5 contracts buy @ 10:05:03

The latter implies there were two orders filled @ 5 contracts each whereas the other broker showed one order filled @ 10 contracts. Very misleading info if someone is a DOM trader or dependent upon market depth to make trade decisions.

Scary the more you think about it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  10. algofy

algofy

No prior bar shouldn't any any effect....what geographical region are u in?

#10     Apr 8, 2017