Canadians angered over "Buy American" rule

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Jun 7, 2009.

1. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

protectionism and gov't controlled central command economies don't work. communism doesn't work. why do you think russian and china abandoned central gov't planning of industries.

bad companies and bad industries either go bankrupt or become extinct.
    in capitalist system.

competition from honda and toyota and foreign auto makers bankupted
    GM and chrysler which darwinism

in the 70's and 60's GM had 50% market share and now less than 15
    %

the post bankrupt company is sold to debtor in financing or liquidated to new owners.

the destruction of the value of the US dollar is far more destruction of wealth as many as 30% of wealth is in cash and bonds in US dollar

like many third world countries, they can't sell bonds without having to pay 10% interest on gov't bonds. or the bonds are so risky it's like 20% because the bonds risk going default.

#31     Jun 9, 2009
  2. Alright it's settled then. Strip-off, Montreal vs. Dallas. Staged in Montreal of course (us Canadians have an inherent fear of cowboys, shotguns, and chewing tobacco).

#32     Jun 9, 2009
  3. Not to mention their attitude. French-Canadian women have a totally different attitude than anglos. They know what the want and they aren't afraid to let you know. As long as you're fairly confident and don't need your women to be wilting flowers, Montreal is heaven on earth. There's a sexual maturity and freedom that doesn't exist in anglo Canada, and not in the US, generally speaking.

#33     Jun 9, 2009
  4. Frostie

Frostie

I've lived in a couple different Canadian cities and visited many American cities, these statements are absolutely true. The women in Montreal are amazingly beautiful and exotic looking. They are also extremely classy. You won't see women like this in their numbers anywhere in North America.

#34     Jun 9, 2009
  5. pspr

pspr

Ok Ok. I've read enough. I suggest we mine both boarders but leave a small opening for women from Montreal to enter the country at will.

#35     Jun 9, 2009
  6. WTF is the name of this thread? And we go talking about women? Jeez, no one can stay on the subject.

#36     Jun 9, 2009
  7. Haha! Done, then. Set the time and place and let the games begin.

#37     Jun 9, 2009
  8. Great posts Momo. Glad to hear of some first hand experience because everyone always says how incredible Montreal women are, but few have actually experienced it!

But back to the thread topic, I read an article yesterday stating how the vote by the municipalities won't actually impact trade with the USA (yet), but will basically be used as a tool for Canada at the bargaining table with USA trade officials to show Canada's concern over the "Buy American" clause. This was coming from the Canadian trade minister.

I find it funny how top levels of government in both countries denounce protectionism and exclaim how bad it is for both economies etc. yet we still have these type of measures and policies in place. Are they powerless to stop this type of behaviour? Do they not want to? Are they waiting for protectionism to become more prevalent before acting? The article said trade officials from both countries are working on the matter, but what is there to work on? What is so hard about this? Both governments denounce protecitonism, so how hard is it to remove the "Buy American" clause?

#38     Jun 10, 2009