Canadian Securities?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kastro_316, Nov 18, 2005.

1. I took the csc about 2 years ago. Its pointless in my opinion unless you are looking for a job at a bank or investment company. I think it helped a lot getting a job at a bank for myself, but now that i work as a trader its totally pointless.

It cost about 500 or 600 or something then, but i think its more now. There used to be a project at the end but they stopped that some time in 2004 i believe which makes it a lot easier.

I found the test very easy to get 70%, but very difficlut to get 90%+

#11     Nov 20, 2005
  2. Szeven, what kind of trader are you? Asking because you said the CSC is pointless if you are a trader. Of course this is true, but so is every other type of formal education.

I have a opportunity to work in a large investment/financial firm because I am good friends with the founder and CEO. Besides the financial/investment education i am getting, the CSC is something everyone must get he says.

Thanks again guys!
    -Kastro

#12     Nov 20, 2005
  3. plugger

plugger

Get your CSC. It'll provide you with a good base of knowledge to build on (which you will need to do).

As for working in an investment firm or bank, you need it in order to get registered (licensed) with the provinces. You will also need your Conduct and Practices (CPH). If you want to work with options, you'll need the Derivatives Fundamentals Course and the Options Licensing Course.

As for trading, no you don't need it. But as i said at first, it does provide a good base of knowledge to start from. It can only help in my opinion.

#13     Nov 20, 2005
  4. Isnt there a trading component to the CSC? I have the CSC course at home, waiting to get on it, but I noticed they market a traders fundamentals course, just curious if they try to enforce who can be a trader in Canada via the trading component of the CSC.

#14     Nov 20, 2005
  5. The CSC...

Where can I get additional info about it ? Nothing on TSX exchange website, nothing on MX website...Thanks

#15     Nov 22, 2005
  6. ShawnyV

ShawnyV

I wrote it after studying for less than 10 hours on both sections combined.... Got it no problem.

The weighting of each section is available on the website, along with practice questions. Go through the practice questions 3 or 4 times, see what areas you're having trouble w/ and skim them in the book. I found it incredibly easy.

#16     Nov 22, 2005
  7. #17     Nov 22, 2005
  8. gekko

gekko

www.csi.ca

All courses are there including CSC, derivatives, options, trader certification, portfolio manager and more.

#18     Nov 22, 2005