Canadian Prime Minister Harper: "Reckless U.S. consumers caused recession"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 13, 2009.

1. eagle

eagle

If you think that Harper blamed US consumers for nothing as you do then you're wrong. Harper is a smart guy to take the opportunity to promote his party values but also his objective is to build a good relation with US.

The blame was not to US consumers as specific but to the "non-conservative idea" in general.

#41     Mar 16, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

It's difficult to rationally blame the US consumer for ANYTHING. (Doing so is like blaming a mentally challenged person for being "slow"..) We do as we are lead, we do as we are told... excessive borrowing, excessive spending... even voting for El Presidente.

We are nothing more than the end result of our prodding..

#42     Mar 16, 2009
  3. Yes... going forward we need solutions where all parties all have "skin in the game" in future transactions.

I also think we need "perp walks" for the worst players in business and government but am not optimistic.

#43     Mar 16, 2009
  4. If you look at the history of effects of stimulus, you will find NO CASES where it worked. Witness Japan's lost decade, America's Great Depression, Italy's continuous troubles, etc. We are already way over-leveraged, and adding additional debt is just insane, and will, IMO, only result in an eventual fall from much greater heights. You can't fix a debt bubble with a bigger debt bubble.

The correct answer is honest work, savings and investment, production, export, and honest money. But I think what we'll get, at BEST, is infinite amounts of additional debt, and a devalued currency, and at worst a complete currency collapse.

#44     Mar 16, 2009
  5. And I take no responsibility for your mental defects.

#45     Mar 16, 2009
  6. gnome

gnome

My dad can beat up your dad!

#46     Mar 16, 2009
  7. I have to wonder if Harper is in a round about way, letting us know that if our consumer consumption and debt is considered to be at silly levels, then our government's and federal reserve's encouraging consumers to gorge upon that fountain of credit, and the government's infinite appetite for spending and yet more debt in astronomical quantities, are absolute lunatic policies, and the real warning is that it will result in the end of America as a 1st world nation, and its demotion to that of slaves to that debt, at best.

#47     Mar 16, 2009
  8. This only applies to sheeple like you who can't think independently and therefore need to be protected from themselves.

#48     Mar 16, 2009
  9. gnome

gnome

Probably wouldn't be a big deal (just another uppity regime by the wayside) if not for the fact the $USD is the world's reserve currency [for now].

#49     Mar 16, 2009
  10. Not my point... go hump someone else's leg.

#50     Mar 16, 2009