Canadian Police state that Bitcoin is a scam

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by gwb-trading, Mar 7, 2014.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Canadian Police state that Bitcoin is a scam. Will not help hacked websites.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...-businesses-face-sting-of-free-wheeling-ways/

Flexcoin looked to law enforcement to investigate the hack, but apparently to no avail.

“My attempts to file a police report were laughed at, I was advised #bitcoin is a scam,” according to a tweet posted by the Flexcoin Twitter account Wednesday. “Thanks for the help @edmontonpolice.”

This is the Canadian police policy at the local, provincial, and national level.

2. SIUYA

SIUYA

gotta love it.
    Police decide something is a scam (ie; criminal) but then say too bad we wont help.

Sounds like the UK
    My wife was taken by some guys doing a rental scam, we took in evidence, bank accounts in a personal name etc.
    The police said - sorry not much we can do. (I understood this part that it was beyond what they could cover and efficiently use resources etc etc)
    But....this is where it gets really cowboy UK.

I decided to follow up with the bank telling them;

either you have a known criminal using this account,
    OR this account was opened using fraudulent ID.
    Their response - we cant do anything about it!

My next question was...(you always have to have a follow up question for the UK as the first answer is always - 'computer says no')

"Can I please open an account in someone else's name if I have the documents for that?"
    Answer: no....wtf?
    I tested the account by sending an extra £1 at a later date out of curiosity - its still open.

go figure - the UK is a haven for criminals and they thought they exported them all to Australia.

(Friday afternoon rant)

3. Really? No, they're stating that BTC is the scam. It's Natl policy.

4. SIUYA

SIUYA

but if you tell the police something and they say its a scam (regardless of it being bitcoin or a fraudulent player in bitcoin, it being Natl policy) and then do nothing -wtf good are they ....whoosh

5. Coke dealer gets ripped off in a drug deal gone awry and goes to the cops for the missing drugs or cash. You need help.

6. SIUYA

SIUYA

if Bitcoin is 'outlawed' in Canada then yes - I get your point, but from what I see its not.
    On that same note - here is the same story where the police are investigating.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/06/us-bitcoin-flexcoin-idUSBREA2503F20140306

"Flexcoin had earlier on Wednesday complained that local authorities were not taking the theft seriously, Tweeting: "My attempts to file a police report were laughed at, I was advised #bitcoin is a scam." But it later Tweeted that it had been in touch with police and would provide more information on Thursday."

"The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) said on Wednesday they were investigating the issue.

"I can confirm that detectives from the EPS Economic Crimes Section and Technological Crimes Unit are following up with Flexcoin, and the matter is currently under investigation," said police spokesman Chad Orydzuk."

does this make a double whoosh Friday? :)

7. "outlawed" is not a legal-term.

It makes you an idiot for backpedaling. No, I am not going to search for a link to show that the Edmonton police are going to change their tune and decide to investigate solely to save face for the media. Keep Googling.

The above comment was moronic.

8. SIUYA

SIUYA

Gee - Sorry for being an idiot and admitting there is maybe another side to the story, or evidence I might not have known and then changing my view when presented with contrary evidence. I also must apologise for showing you equivalent evidence that that police have changed as well.

Thats not the definition of idiot I normally come across.
    I guess being an idiot has helped me trade well, so i will stick to it.

As for idiot - I provided you the link, and the quotes from it - you did not need to search

Personally it is still preferable to your chosen character that I assume you adopt for some reason- that of aggressive ignorant arrogant know it all ass hole. Sorry its probably not a legal term either.

but hey - the world takes all types and now we know who we are dealing with so its been educational.