Canadian housing bubble thread

Discussion in 'Economics' started by m22au, Apr 11, 2017.

1. ironchef

ironchef

I thought for a moment you described Los Angeles.

#151     Feb 21, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Your life choices seem rather superficial and boring, and in no way reflect on why most people who choose Toronto as their home. I don't blame you for hating Toronto if your existence there was living in some box overlooking the expressway and 90% of your day was in an office or in that box. That could drive anyone out of town. I'm not surprised that you gravitate to like minded individuals that hated this city and only saw it as where their job was located.

#152     Feb 21, 2018
  3. i never said i hate TO, you did. Remember that! I think it's your subconscious speaking. All I said TO is over priced for what it is.

#153     Feb 21, 2018
  4. Sorry , i look at the lake and island.

#154     Feb 24, 2018
  5. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Your comments about TO are extremely negative and misleading. Perhaps it's not "hate", it might be just the cynical way you look at the world in general. I don't speak on a subconscious level, I'm pretty direct and chose to live in Toronto for quality reasons. Again, you seem to be unaware of everything Toronto has to offer; this is true of many people in many cities. I like the community, low crime rates, sports clubs, and moderate weather in Toronto. When my kids needed them, I loved the public school system it was ideal for getting ahead. Corporate Toronto is not without problems but it works well for many people and not so well for others; but don't discount the corporate world because there is a ton of money going through Toronto. Traffic you have to live with, but it's not that bad if you know the city and what to avoid and when.

Forecasts on this city show a large increase in population is guaranteed for at least 20 more years. There just isn't much construction or new rental units being built. So on the real estate topic, it's not hard to know what may happen to real estate prices and rents for those 20 years.

#155     Feb 24, 2018
  6. Keep on reminding yourself that. We all say (native torontonians) Toronto's great until you see what the world has to offer. Many have grown beyond TO. Like I said, Toronto is great in it's own mind. Wait until the housing bubble burst, the 1k per sqft condo will drop like a tank. My condo was purchased long ago, maybe before you were born. Many cycles have come and gone, everything reverts to normal.

#156     Feb 24, 2018
  7. ironchef

ironchef

Found this article on Toronto RE:

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/realestateeconomy/toronto-real-estate-losses/

#157     May 7, 2018
    viruscore1 likes this.
  8. This is just the beginning with no end in sight. Eventually interest rate will go up, TO and Vancouver real estate will implode. Unlike US mortgages, Canadian mortgages are term. When upside down homeowners renew mortgages, only high interest mortgages will be available. Or maybe none at all, when borrowers lose their job or don't qualify. Happened to US associates. Then the next shoe drops...

#158     May 7, 2018
  9. What bubble ...

#159     May 4, 2019
  10. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Your ideas are dying a horrible death as expected. Lot of posters on here chimed in with a lot of nonsense about the Toronto housing market. Note the echo chamber effect where traders get super sure of themselves and what they think will happen next. Toronto housing prices are up significantly 2017-2021. So 1990-2021 basically no meaningful financial reason for anyone to sell at any point.

My observation about the psychology of many short term traders. They hunt for really strong trends to counter. They want to cash in on some great contrarian trade and beat the "crowd". So on to the internet finding the targets. Read all news subjectively to confirm their bias. Immerse themselves in the idea, bounce it off other like minded people, eventually they strongly believe in it. No amount of data or info counter to their theory will sway them. Hopefully no one rented from 2010-2021 based solely on trader or media opinion. Media often just once to sell a story, gain some eyeballs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    #160     Dec 5, 2021