Canada’s covid-19 second wave is a humbling moment after a summer of bragging

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TreeFrogTrader, Dec 22, 2020.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Just like nearly all the other medical treatment statistics in Canada -- over 10% of the Canadian citizens are getting COVID shots abroad. Many of them hopping the border to get them in the U.S. Of course, the Canadian Healthcare Authorities are not able to track who received their shots (or other medical treatment) outside the country.

Federal public health agency doesn't know how many Canadians have received COVID-19 vaccines abroad
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...e-received-covid-19-vaccines-abroad-1.5421812

#481     May 11, 2021
  2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Hey... let's deport our first-line medical workers who have been here since 2014 without giving them the second doses of the vaccine. So sorry, but this is the way Canada rolls.

Don’t deport me until I get my second dose of COVID-19 vaccine, health worker asks Canada
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-19-vaccine-health-worker-asks-canada.html?rf

Carlo Escario says he’s ready for his removal and return to his native Philippines — he just wants Canada to let him to stay here for 40 more days.

The 36-year-old from Quezon City worked at Toronto General Hospital since 2014 as a hemodialysis assistant. Until two weeks ago, he was working directly with COVID-19 patients in the intensive-care unit.

As a front-line essential health care worker, he received his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in February, but says the appointment for the second shot isn’t until June 11.

With the Philippines now battling a second wave of COVID-19 and less than two per cent of the population having been vaccinated, Escario asked Canada Border Services Agency to defer his removal, scheduled for this Thursday, May 13 to June 22 (a date accommodating the 10-day buffer in case of any adverse effects from the second shot).

“I am very worried about getting COVID-19 because I do not want to get sick and rely on the health care in the Philippines,” said Escario, whose parents have both been infected by the virus but have no money to pay for hospitalization and medication.

“I am unlikely to receive a Pfizer vaccine on return to the Philippines because the country is primarily administering the Chinese Sinovac and Russian Sputnik vaccines, which worries me. I sincerely hope that Canada will consider my work as a front-line health care worker and find that I am deserving of a short deferral of my removal.”

However, in a decision rendered Tuesday, the border agency ruled deferring his deportation would be inappropriate.

“The risk of infection exists everywhere, but I am not convinced that the risk is higher in the Philippines than it would be in Canada … Escario received the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine, which would indicate that he is protected even more than many unvaccinated people in the Philippines,” a border officer said in dismissing the request.

“No evidence was provided to this office to show that (he) will be in need of hospitalization upon return to his home country. The statements are speculative in nature.”

Escario’s lawyer, Natalie Domazet, said her client is willing to leave Canada and has been co-operative with the border officials throughout.

“Mr. Escario continued to work at Toronto General Hospital with direct contact with COVID-19 patients. He courageously continued to work, while the province has been in crisis, despite his own fears of contracting the virus,” Domazet said.

“While the federal government has boasted of its appreciation for front-line workers, their decision to refuse Mr. Escario’s request is not aligned with that message or Canadian values,” she continued, calling the 40-day deferral “a meagre ask.”

Escario arrived in Toronto in 2007 as a live-in caregiver and became a permanent resident here three years later. However, his immigrant status was revoked in 2013 because he was found to have misrepresented himself in his permanent residence application for failing to declare he was married and had a child in the Philippines.

“I accept full responsibility for my actions and know that I have to leave Canada,” said Escario. “Of course, I am sad about the predicament I am in but know that I could have done many things differently to prevent my situation.”

In the Philippines, he might be able to follow up his Pfizer shot with one of the other varieties, but “there is not enough scientific information for me to feel comfortable doing that. I am scared,” he said. “I am deserving of a short deferral of my removal to receive my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. This will allow me to return to the Philippines feeling safe.”

Escario said he met his now-estranged wife and impregnated her while he was waiting for his work permit to come to Canada under the live-in caregiver program and didn’t bother to update his application fearing further processing delay.

Because the marriage was “on paper” only, he didn’t try to sponsor them to Canada. And it wasn’t until when he was applying for Canadian citizenship in 2013 that his wife told officials that he was actually married and had a child.

In dismissing Escario’s deferral request, the border agency said it’s not convinced he would suffer any “irreparable harm” if he does not receive the second Pfizer dose and there’s no evidence that receiving a shot from another company would have negative effects.

“It is currently very difficult to foresee for how long the pandemic will last. In Canada, lockdowns are emerging in various cities and provinces at this time due to increasing numbers of infections,” the border officer said in the four-page decision.

“Given a time frame related to the continuing challenges of COVID-19 remain unclear, and in light of my limited jurisdiction to consider deferrals of a definite, short-term nature, I am not satisfied that granting Mr. Carlo Escario a deferral of removal based on COVID-19 concerns is appropriate.”

#482     May 13, 2021
  3. jem

jem

What a selfish and heartless people.
    Enforcing their borders and protecting their citizens wages and vaccines like that.

#483     May 13, 2021
  4. #484     May 13, 2021
    gwb-trading likes this.
  5. "However, his immigrant status was revoked in 2013 becausehe was found to have misrepresented himself in his permanent residence application for failing to declare he was married and had a child in the Philippines."

He acted unlawfully and got PR because of a sham marriage, hiding his real marriage back in Phili. He should count himself lucky we taxpayers even gave him the first dose. Now get his fucking ass where it belongs.

#485     May 13, 2021
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

No worries. He can come to the US. We let anyone in. No visa, no immigration, hell - no passports. Just come through our back door and try not to get mud on the carpet.

#486     May 13, 2021
    DiceAreCast likes this.

7. Front door is good too.

Just get on a plane. Come here. Overstay your visa.

You are not going to be deported anytime in your lifetime.

#487     May 13, 2021
  8. Last edited: May 14, 2021
    #488     May 14, 2021
  9. Canuck Covid Commander bites the dust.

Oh, the shame.

"The brief statement did not elaborate on the nature of the investigation."

Yeh right. Don't scratch your head too long. Michelle Rempel just forced Trudeau into a corner where he had to deal with another sexual assault scumbagger.

High Five to Michelle. Wayyy to go girl. You da man.

[​IMG]

Commander leading Canada’s COVID vaccine rollout leaves pending investigation

https://www.reuters.com/world/ameri...lout-leaves-pending-investigation-2021-05-15/

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    #489     May 15, 2021
  10. Keep in mind that this lashing out against Canada by Astrazenica follows last weeks lashing out by a Canadian vaccine developer who said that they are looking to leave the country and produce their vaccine elsewhere due to "lack of federal support."

Shameful.

AZ basically sticking it up Canada's arse out of frustration. The Oxford guy minces no words, for sure.

AstraZeneca-Oxford developer blasts Canada's approach to vaccine, says 'messing around is going to cost lives'

At my last look you guys are 3.6 per cent vaccinated with two doses, so just wait for [the Indian variant] to rip through the Canadian population, and then the problems you've had with these very rare clotting events will look pretty insignificant,” said Bell.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ssing-around-is-going-to-cost-lives-1.5428725

#490     May 15, 2021