Canada

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kicking, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Can anyone from Canada give me some info on CGT and other taxes potentially affecting a full time trader (SS tax etc). I am determined to leave the UK and live in North America. I spent a few years in the US but can't get a green card there. I have met a few Canadians in London and without exception they were all very very nice people and beautiful charming girls too. The hours are great here but I just can't stay too long for the sake of sanity. From what I know I could have a chance to get permanent resident status in Quebec, being bilingual and self-employed although I am not sure they will consider trading as a legitimate business.

A few things concern me: the weather ( I am not gonna like those ice storms for sure so I'd be looking for an area in Quebec that doesn't get too cold nor cloudy in the winter otherwise I might as well stay in depressing London ), taxes, and the laws regarding brokerages( what US brokers can you use there besides IB?)

2. Momento

Momento

What do you trade?

3. eminis and ETF's, dabbling in FX, some stocks long term.

4. GGSAE

GGSAE

The weather in Quebec is not solid. There aren't any warm areas, at best you'll be looking along the St. Lawrence river in or around Montreal/Quebec City. I personally wouldn't live in Quebec, except maybe across the river from my home in Ottawa.

5. GGSAE,

Why wouldn't you live in Quebec? If I could I think I would go to Vancouver This place looks pretty cool. But the hours are a real struggle for me. When I was in SoCal, I could never get out of my bed before 9am ET . If I were to live on the West Coast again I think I would go to bed at 5 pm PST and wake up at midnight. It might even be better than the East Coast because I can still go out for a drink at midnight. If I am in Quebec and have to get up at 6 am ET I don't go out anymore.

6. corvus

corvus

Kicking, check out this link:

http://www.immigration.ca/permres-business-overview.asp

Depending on your net worth you may have some options. But be prepared...the time between starting this process and getting a visa are running around 18 months or more, even for "skilled worker" immigrants.

7. tradepro

tradepro

8. Momento

Momento

Canada is great indeed. Health Care is taken care of at least to start!

9. Momento

Momento

btw.. if you are a big futures trader, you can check out Refco's offices in Canada. My colleagues tell me that is very professional and well maintained.

Good luck.

#10     Feb 5, 2004