Canada to become the 51st - 59th USA State?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by forex-forex, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Hi f-f. Let me ask you - are you a Canadian citizen?

It's a good question about what % would vote yes on that referendum you mentioned. I personally don't think it would be as high as you seem to but you never know.

#11     Nov 22, 2006
  2. esuperbo

esuperbo

High %? Not a chance in hell - the liberals wouldn't have any of it (Bush hating etc.), and the conservatives up here are real conservatives - independence and all that (witness Harper's Arctic sovereignty campaign).

I'd put the % at roughly the number of US immigrants. No Canadian I know, regardless of where they are across the political spectrum, has much envy of the US.

#12     Nov 23, 2006
  3. esuperbo

esuperbo

And how precisely does Harper's meaningless resolution have anything to do with a proposed referendum? This is being universally panned in Quebec, far from stirring up a firestorm... f-f, you may need to brush up on your Canadian politics.

#13     Nov 23, 2006
  4. Quebec will vote to become an independent country and I think the majority will decide so. Quebec is vast and rich land with good economy and I don't see any reason why wouldn't they be allowed to be independent if they choose so.
    Its funny how we in the west don't like separatists when they show up in our house, but somewhere over there we like them and even support them.
    Look at eastern europe, every separatist thug has a country now, LOL... with our support of course.
    Are you going to tell me that croatvia and moldova have more right to be independent and Quebec doesn't?
    Double standards?

#14     Nov 23, 2006
  5. By the way Scotland is next, and I can't wait :)

#15     Nov 23, 2006
  6. I'm not holding my breath on that one. Too bad there wasn't a futures contract on it. I'd short Quebec independence in a heartbeat.

(Maybe there is such a thing on that betting site, what the hell is it called...?)

Croatia and Moldova have no more right than Quebec, no. However, the majority of Quebecers aren't interested in separating.

#16     Nov 23, 2006
  7. Well, that's fair, if the majority decides to stay in Canada than they should, but I doubt it. I think young french canadians are more and more inclined to vote for independence.
    You think it would be peaceful if they decide to separate?

#17     Nov 23, 2006
  8. It's a good question. I guess there would be an exodus of anglophones. How many would leave for good? How many companies would leave for good?

What about the native populations? They will definitely move to become a separate nation if Quebec separates because they will have less than zero interest in being subsumed under a sovereign Quebec

Violence? I doubt it - it's not really the Canadian way. Maybe a little but I would expect more violence if the vote was in favour of the separatists and then something got thrown in their way.

#18     Nov 23, 2006
  9. #19     Nov 23, 2006
  10. Yes I am Canadian citizen, born in Vancouver.

I think it would be interesting if someone ran to become British Columbia's next premier (governor) and their platform is for BC to become the 51st USA State.

#20     Nov 23, 2006