Canada Q1 growth most in a decade - 6.1% - 2x USA growth

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kassz007, May 31, 2010.

1. Canada may well be the best managed country in the world. At the moment their politicians seem sane and the underpinnings of their economy are solid. Back that up with their natural resources abundance (including unpolluted fresh water!) and this is a long term prosperity equation.

#11     May 31, 2010
  2. #12     May 31, 2010
  3. The short Canada trade is looking worse and worse every day.:D

#13     Jun 1, 2010
  4. Banjo

Banjo

#14     Jun 1, 2010
  5. Compared to the US, Canada looks rock solid, in my opinion. I've been thinking about accepting a position with my company in Toronto for a while now as an expat.

#16     Jun 1, 2010
  6. dtan1e

dtan1e

Canada has lots natural resources, and this are in demand in this times

#17     Jun 1, 2010
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Hate to break it to my fellow-Canucks: Canada is especially vulnerable to a slow-down in global trade from teetering juggernauts. As goes America and the EU, so goes the rest of the world (save China).

Canada gets lumped in with the rejects, albeit, we've got a lower debt-to-GDP (~80%) that affords us a year or two of Government pump-priming if and when the wheels come off. That won't be enough and Canada will have to take it's medicine too.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on the size of Canadian FIRE compared to GDP? That's the real ticking time-bomb here, gents. Outsource manufacturing, import speculative flipping and underwriting, and we've "innovated" another ponizified economy just North of the Border!

#18     Jun 1, 2010
  8. So so far I have you pegged at being bearish on the economy of every single country so far...

So tell me, where are YOU putting your money?

#19     Jun 1, 2010
  9. dtan1e

dtan1e

China seems rich only bc they are not overwhelmed with social programs, the gov't is not truly elected unlike in a westernised political set up where there is a need to satisfy voters with popular programs even when the coffers are empty. This often lead to policies that provide short term benefits but detrimental to the country's economy long term wise

#20     Jun 1, 2010