Canada Pension Plan Fund hits record high holdings worth $140 billion at end of 2010

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kassz007, Feb 10, 2011.

1. http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Canada-Pension-Plan-Fund-hits-capress-2688027492.html?x=0

"The Canada Pension Plan Fund ended the third quarter of fiscal 2011 with record holdings of $140.1 billion, buoyed by strong stock markets around the world."

"That's up from the previous record of $138.6 billion at the end of the second quarter, when a rebound in stock markets enabled the fund to push beyond its pre-recession high."

"In 1966, when the CPP was launched, there were 6.5 workers for every retiree. In 2005, that ratio dropped to five workers per pensioner and by 2055, it is projected there will be only two workers for every retiree."

"The report also indicated that CPP contributions are expected to exceed annual benefits paid out until 2021, meaning that income from CPPIB investments won't be required to help pay pensions for 10 years.

"The fact that Canada's national pension scheme is absolutely rock solid and sustainable is a wonderful story," Denison said.

"We are in a very select group of countries around the world that can claim that," he said.

2. Yes and now if they could only do something about the weather.:D

3. ganesh6

ganesh6

Does ir matter? Who cares?
    Just dont post news from internet.

4. zdreg

zdreg

yours is a very apropos post concerning the future of the loonie. thx

5. -29 degrees celcius where I live tonight with the wind chill :D

6. This is economic news posted in the economic forum.

Your thread was about Egypt, posted in the wall st. news forum (as if we need ANOTHER irrelevant Egypt thread...) Do you see the difference?

I post news for discussion. If you do not wish to discuss, please do not participate in this thread. Thank you.

7. That loonie sure is persistent. Would love to see the USD/CAD appreciate a bit, but I honestly can't see it happening for quite some time. Especially when the BOC is expected to raise rates in the second half of 2011, and the Fed will raise rates........?