canada based brokers + IB question

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by luisHK, Jul 12, 2012.

1. luisHK

luisHK

As IB website doesn't mention a HK company and I'm more familiar with HK ltd that Llc, I thought more of their HK office as a registered Hong Hong office of the US company.

http://www.by-cpa.com/hk/biz/hk_osco.html

As they open account with IB US (at least that waht I thought I opened there ?!?) I'd suppose that account to be insured following the US regulations.

But it wouldn't be the first time I get the wrong idea.

Note as well that when I went to the HK HSBC office to transfer some HK shares from my HSBC account to the new IB account, I had to call IB's office as the HSBC clerk couldn't find Interactive Brokers in his list (of HK registered brokers ?). They were actually to be transferred to Timber Hill (HK ?). With US stocks, are the shares held on the name of IB or Timber Hill ?

#11     Jul 15, 2012
  2. Options12

Options12 Guest

#12     Jul 15, 2012
  3. luisHK

luisHK

I don't know... reading this I don't even know under which scheme cash held on a IB account in cad/eur/usd etc... by hong kong traders would be insured if at all. I guess also if you open a account with IB in HK but trade through a non HK corporation or are not a HK resident, those provisions don't apply except for the money linked to HK products.

Besides it appears in IB llc in HK is indeed registered as an overseas company while Timber Hill is incorporated locally :

"IB" means Interactive Brokers LLC, an overseas company registered with the Securities
    and Futures Commission as a Dealer and also registered in the United States as a brokerdealer
    with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and a Futures Commission
    Merchant with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission;
    "
    "THSHK" means Timber Hill Securities Hong Kong Limited, an entity registered with the
    Securities and Futures Commission and a member of the SEHK, HKFE, HKFE Clearing
    House, SEOCH and HKSCC; THSHK is an affiliate of IB.

#13     Jul 15, 2012
  4. Options12

Options12 Guest

Does Canada offer any protection for owners of CAD in the event of brokerage failure?

#14     Jul 15, 2012
  5. #15     Jul 15, 2012
  6. #16     Jul 15, 2012
  7. Options12

Options12 Guest

Or with the foreign affiliate of a Canadian broker who is a Member, it seems like.

Customers introduced to a Member by a foreign affiliate of the Member, in accordance with SRO requirements, are customers of the Member eligible for coverage.

#17     Jul 15, 2012
  8. luisHK

luisHK

FWIW I phoned IB Canada enquiring about an account opening for a BVI company and was told to contact IB Llc. It seems IB Canada only opens accounts to canadian residents.

#18     Jul 24, 2012
  9. Canadian brokers are unable to accept U.S. accounts because the CFTC forbids it and prosecutes foreign brokers who accept accounts of U.S. residents.

The CFTC has a dozen law suits against foreign brokers currently underway against foreign brokers who accepted U.S. clients.

#19     Jul 24, 2012
  10. luisHK

luisHK

I hardly have anything to do with the US, have never even set a foot in the country...

#20     Jul 24, 2012