Can you trade through a wireless router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joab, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Joab

Joab

Are todays wireless N routers good enough to run

Charting and Execution platforms, Java chat room and surf the web all at once ???

2. gnome

gnome

Easily. However, some would prefer the greater security of a wired network.

3. I'm curious as to what the impetus is for your question. Do you currently have a router that exhibits these traits? For I have not seen one. Do you know someone who is having these problems or have you heard or read about someone who has?

I'm still on "G"(I think gnome is too) and I have never had these issues. So if you could clarify what you mean by "good enough" maybe that would help.

4. cosmic

cosmic

I feel it very much depends on your style, sure the modern routers with high security are stable & fast enough, but I would not want to risk loosing the connection, as it always can be on a wireless system.

I got one, but just for flexibility with the laptop in the appartment...but the trading computers are all wired.

This mix works rock-stable so far...

Best,
    cosmic

5. It should be almost as good as being directly wired but with potential security issues if configured incorrectly. I've been trading off wireless routers for about 2 years now and never had any problems as far as the router failing on me.

I've also traded using 3G cards/USB dongles and they are decent (a bit high in latency) - they let you trade anywhere without relying on wireless hotspots if you happen to be on vacation or something.

6. Joab

Joab

Thanks for the replies!

I did just start trading off of a Dlink but was disconnecting a lot so I changed to a linksys N and it "seems" to be better.

Whats the best security setting without compromising speed?

7. Cutten

Cutten

Yes you can. Very useful when you need to go to the bathroom - just take your laptop with you, that way you don't get screwed if some finance minister resigns while you are taking a dump.

8. I hope you're kidding :eek:

9. Cutten

Cutten

It gives new meaning to the term "gap n crap" :p

10. 9999

...and perfect timing!
    :D

#10     Jan 11, 2008