Can you still day trade as you get older?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by gnom, Jan 31, 2010.

1. lescor

lescor

Agree with the above comments. I'll take experience over sharp reflexes any day. Just because you're a scalper now doesn't mean you have to be a keyboard monkey your whole life either.

I doubt I'll ever stop, but when I have enough cash to not need any more, I think I'd definitely slow down.

#11     Jan 31, 2010
  2. gnom

gnom

Thank you for replying to my post Lescor.

#12     Jan 31, 2010
  3. dude ... scalping is only for autonmated BOTS

or arbs these days

plus ... as you get older you realize there is more than

one market out there ( i.e. stocks )

too bad most folks on ET think thats all there is
    and that the only way to make it is through scalping
    teenies at some rinky dink prop firm

:p

#13     Jan 31, 2010
  4. Surdo

Surdo

Teenies!!!

Dude like those went out in the 90's.

I suppose you used to be a SOES bandit @ Broadway?

#14     Jan 31, 2010
  5. I see no reason why it can't be done as one ages. As your career advances your goals change but that comes with age.

I agree with the others. There's nothing else I'd rather do so the exit strategy involves a coffin.

#15     Jan 31, 2010

6. You just might not slow down!

Being the good Jew that I am, I never spend much of what I make, so I've always had enough. If I make $1 or a $zillion, it's all the same to me. What I enjoy now in the declining years is winning!! And when I win I know that it's quite likely that I've won from someone much younger, and smarter, than I am.

So trading can still be great in later life, but getting old is really the pits!

#16     Jan 31, 2010
  7. No. when you hit 50, you automatically become unprofitable.

seriously, this has little to do with anything. You have an edge and superior money management, or not. You may be automated or not, patient or not, very mentally acute or not, etc. An older person may have less stamina but probably more experience/wisdom.

No such thing as a blanket rule.

#17     Jan 31, 2010
  8. gnom

gnom

Thank you for replying to my post Red Inc.

#18     Jan 31, 2010
  9. Probably, as long as they can still think good and their memory is still sharp, why not?

#19     Feb 1, 2010
  10. ammo

ammo

unlke sports or physical labor,trading is a mental excercise and knowledge is power ,the older the wiser,had to be a tadpole that started this thread,ignorance is bliss

#20     Feb 1, 2010