Can you short these coins against the USD?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Daal, May 23, 2017.

1. Daal

Daal

Long-term these cryptos are probably solid, but for right now, they are due to a nasty correction. A good breakdown is probably a short, can you short them against fiat currency like USDs, EURs, JPYs? Shorting against another crypto currency to me is useless

2. m22au

m22au

3. lx008

lx008

yes, you can go short against coins in coin exchanges

4. jj90

jj90

You can on Kraken, or use a derivative exchange(Bitmex etc).

vanzandt likes this.
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Call me old school... but I just don't trust these "exchanges". (admittedly I'm not well versed in this stuff).
    But if the bottom falls out of this market.... will these exchanges continue to even exist?
    Until it can be shorted at the likes of a Fidelity or TD.... I consider that a very dangerous game.

Max E. and dealmaker like this.
  6. jj90

jj90

@vanzandt Well vandy, we all fall somewhere on the risk utility curve.

7. Daal

Daal

Yes, this is wild west capitalistm. That tetherUSD site is just begging to be shutdown by the big brother Uncle Sam so whatever one does here, got to be with small size and being very careful

8. just21

just21

I bought some NXT on an exchange called dgex.com. The owner sold shares in the exchange and then it shut down! If you buy crypto at an exchange then move it to the wallet on your PC so you avoid a MT Gox type scenario.

vanzandt likes this.
  9. Daal

Daal

Yeah, owning this stuff on a private key seems hmmm key

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yeah absolutely. What I'm skeptical about are the vehicles that enable one to short. (when the time is right)

#10     May 23, 2017