Can you make sense of these technicals?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by farmerjohn1324, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Can you explain? I had planned on entering trades that would close at a SL or TP. In which case, I don't know how long it will be.

I do know that if you make the timeframe too long or too short, trends (and probably all technicals) become meaningless.

#31     Feb 8, 2020
  2. The last time you claimed I made posts all day, I had actually spent that whole day touring the historic city of Samarkand, Uzbekistan.

Then I made a few posts from my hotel that night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlncnaptn8saivm/Polish_20200208_220128972.jpg?dl=0

#32     Feb 8, 2020
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

like pretending to be a world traveler.

#33     Feb 8, 2020
  4. What is with the people on this site?

#34     Feb 8, 2020
    padutrader, Purplemist and bloomberg1 like this.
  5. speedo

speedo

[​IMG]

#35     Feb 8, 2020
  6. In an uptrend, look for buy signals only. Never sell.

But the opposite in a downtrend, right? Only look to sell. Never buy?

And I will add my own twist... Never short index funds, or anything that always goes up over time. At least not for now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    #36     Feb 8, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

I mean the time-frame which gives me the set-up and which demonstrates a decision point for taking a long or short entry.

So if I'm long-term trading, and the daily chart shows an uptrend, I will typically enter long on a pre-set order just above the high of a daily bar with a high lower than that of the preceding bar. The stop-loss will typically be below the low of the lower bar, possibly adjusted as necessary to allow for volatility.

Its an orthodox rationale for trend-following and its hard to see how dropping down to H4 time-frame or shorter could make a very significant difference.

I don't normally use TP's in a long-term trend-following trade. For me the trade (or series of parallel trades) ends when the trend weakens significantly.

#37     Feb 8, 2020
    farmerjohn1324 likes this.
  8. Is there a maximum or minimum number of days (bars on a 1D chart) that you use?

Cause as we know, extending or shortening the time back from present gives us a vastly different view of the trend.

#38     Feb 8, 2020
  9. Shorter-term ma crossing over the longer-term.

#39     Feb 8, 2020
  10. tomorton

tomorton

No pre-set number of days, though its often the case that in some markets a certain number of days with consecutively higher closes is about as far as it goes. I exit on weakness, get back in when weakness ends. Its OK by me if I get out at tea-time and set a new entry order at bed-time.

#40     Feb 8, 2020