Can you live with 100 plus Degrees summers forever?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mahram, Aug 3, 2006.

Can you live with summers that are 100+ plus degrees as the normal temperature?

1. yes

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. ElCubano

ElCubano

Never.....

#21     Aug 7, 2006
  2. I remember those dire predictions, if I recall correctly, made during the 75-76 winter.

Maybe they were right:

"August 3, 2006 3:26 p.m. EST

Julie Farby - All Headline News Staff Writer
    Johannesburg, South Africa (AHN)-Snow fell on Johannesburg, South Africa's biggest city, for the first time in 25 years as icy temperatures gripped vast strips of the country.

more at: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004424827

#22     Aug 7, 2006
  3. An interesting piece of data is from the Vostok ice cores. It shows CO2 levels and a reconstruction of temperatures over the past 400K years. Looking at it one can see temps increase as CO2 increases as Al and the scientists tell us. However, it seems that when a peak occurs, the climate reverts to an ice age.

The chart has the most recent data at the left. It looks to me that CO2 now is a bit less than the maximum shown about 330K years ago. I believe these data were from 1998.
    DS

#23     Aug 7, 2006
  4. I'll go one step further because I live in a desert with both temp extremes. 110* summers and -30* winters.

Concrete wall and floor basement with heated floors for the -30* winters, and vents that can pull air from the warm/cool basement through the rest of the house.

Some of the stamped/stained concrete floors look great.

Also, take advantage of the different positions of the sun during the summer/winter and plant trees that will block sun in the summer afternoons, but not during the winter afternoons.

#24     Aug 7, 2006
  5. lol kinds of reminds of when people were calling the inuits crazy when they started devopting high rates of skin cancer and getting burned easily in clouded days. The republicans were saying nothing was wrong. Till Sattelites picked out a huge hole in the ozone layer. And then they said there was no connection between uv and skin cancer. And then studies proved them wrong, and the companies that created them started back tracking. They wanted congress to put up laws to protect them from being sued. Blah blah. The republicans want it both ways. Make you look dumb at first, when there proven wrong they put up laws trying to protect their asses.

#25     Aug 7, 2006
  6. Central Texas in the summer of 1980.....85 straight days over 100 degrees and insane humidity.

I swore then and there that I'd leave that shit hole as soon as I could.

And I did.

#26     Aug 7, 2006
  7. fhl

fhl

So you think that because some Intuits in the arctic allegedly got cancer, some companies should be sued for it? Who? Halliburton? This is exactly why we need protection from idiotic lawsuits.

#27     Aug 7, 2006
  8. MRWSM

MRWSM

I live in Michigan, and designed my home with passive solar in mind. On a sunny winter day that is anything above 20 degrees farenhiet I do not need a furnace running during the day because of all my south facing windows. I did use 2x6 walls also for better insulation. The good thing about this is in the summer the sun goes high up and never hits those windows at least in Michigan that is and with a 16" overhang.

#28     Aug 7, 2006
  9. Well whirlpool, GE, maytag, or any other company created devices that knowingly released toxic gases into the atmosphere. Hey FHL, I guess you missed the entire abestos and whole host of cases. Even if you didnt know about the abestos dangers you were still find liable. If I were oil companies or any company that uses coal that release green house gases, I would be lobbying like crazy for tort reform. It protects your ass in two ways. They cant sue, once global warming is proven tobe manmade, and you can keep on trying to debunk their claims all along the way. Its a win win scenerio for them. But if they dont get that tort reform done, they will end up like tabacco industry. Just making money for all your plantifs :D

#29     Aug 7, 2006
  10. thats insane, can you imagine working inside the city at those temps. And with water restrictions. With the humdity, natural temp, and the city temp all together, and without AC, you will see alot of people dying in the future.

#30     Aug 7, 2006