Can you live with 100 plus Degrees summers forever?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mahram, Aug 3, 2006.

Can you live with summers that are 100+ plus degrees as the normal temperature?

1. yes

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. i can't even function when it's hot like this

not that i function anyways

#11     Aug 3, 2006
  2. actually water restrictions at level 1 means absolutely no watering at any time. And it would mean only 3 minute showers max once a day. My point is that you have to be prepared for the consequences of a warmer climate. Scientists, even the bushies who say this isnt man made, say its a multidecade long cycle. *geez long enought for them tobe old, and say we didnt have the data back then to predict it was man made* You have to start preparing now for the consequences. Like start preparing additional water reserves. Building more power plants. Preparing the populace to deal with 100 degree weather for spring/summer. Deal with high food costs. And the potential for rolling black outs. Industries have to deal with those consequences. Eventually it will effect the pocket book and health the voter. And people will want to know why this is happening, and why nobody prepared for this disaster? If its not manmade, then why nobody started making preparations.;

#12     Aug 3, 2006
  3. LOL thats the common misconception. Alaska is probably one of the most effected by the warming planet. The artic tundra there which has been frozen for 100's of years is now thawing. You have vast planes becomeing mud fields. Alaska is becoming the first environmental disaster of 21st century.

#13     Aug 3, 2006
  4. Probably as soon as castro's "temperature" goes down:cool:

#14     Aug 3, 2006
  5. thats crazy. 121 degrees with high humidty. But maxpi you have to admit, at those levels, expecially with the aging population would be at a standstill. With high humdity that would be like 141 degrees. The average person would be dropping like flies. Just look at cali and most of the midstates now. they cant even handle 3 weeks of high 100's. How can these people deal with spring/summer long high 100's. And you throw in the humdity that would be like 110-120.

#15     Aug 3, 2006
  6. GRX

GRX

Love the heat!

If everyday was like this, it would be perfect! :)

The cold, however, I cannot stand. :eek:

#16     Aug 3, 2006
  7. MRWSM

MRWSM

The trick is to have a concrete wall & floor basement. Mine stays at 65 degrees year round. Make sure when you finish it that you do not use any insulation or carpet. If you decide to cover up the concrete, make sure it is something that will transfer the cold from the concrete and has a high thermal mass. Ceramic should work, marble or granite is better. There you go, free air conditioning.

#17     Aug 3, 2006
  8. I lived through 100+ degrees in Fresno in the fifties and I'm still breathing.

But it's a dry heat...

Yea, so is a blast furnace!

I remember it hitting 125 F. in LeGrand, CA in August 1966! I though I would die.

-1bigsteve (o:

#18     Aug 6, 2006
  9. maxpi

maxpi

I lived in a house that was built into a hillside. It could be way too hot outside but that bottom floor was always cool so long as you kept the windows closed. We would open them at night and close them at sunup and spent nothing at all on cooling.

What chaps my hide is how these builders keep on building these absolutely stupidly designed houses with the forced air cooling. I was in a house here in the mojave desert that was built for the desert. It had a thick concrete slab that had lots of air tunnels through it. It had a big squirrel cage fan that circulated the cool night air through the slab and cooled it down and the slab kept the house cool all day, and I mean really comfortably cool on the hottest days. The house had some shades that would block the sun in the summer and allow it in in the winter time and it was framed with 2 by 6's so that more insulation could be put in the walls, otherwise it was like every other house around. Can we get the building codes changed so that all the houses in the desert can be built like that?? Hell no, they want to frame with 2x4's, put in a cheap slab and let the owner pay huge energy bills forever.

#19     Aug 7, 2006
  10. i am by no means an authority on global warming. i did see inconvenient truth, the movie, by al gore a few weeks ago. i urge you to go check it out if you are interested.

the graph of carbon dioxide emmissions and global temperattures looks like a chart of crude oil over the past years. and there is really no effective plan in place to stop any emmissions so really no reason temperatures wont continue to rise...

#20     Aug 7, 2006