Can you day-trade the ES using realtime $SPX charts?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by derek261, Feb 8, 2009.

1. derek261

derek261

I have a StockCharts.com RT sub. They do not have futures data, but their $SPX updates in realtime w/ intraday data.

Just curious, thanks!

2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sure yes as long as your timeframe isn't a few seconds. It only takes 1 good trade to make the day. If the stop loss is wide enough and you want to capture at least 3+ points than it is not a problem.

3. dve250

dve250

SPX would be too slow to update and would lag. Better to go with SPY.

4. the bigger question is what or how are you trading the ES period...if you are trading the ES, that platform should offer some charting...watch it here...treadsoftly...ES has high leverage

5. derek261

derek261

I'm practice trading ES using the X_Trader simulation from Global Futures and don't want to purchase a dedicated charting program, (yet). I want to see if I enjoy doing this and build up my skills on the MD trader.

Thanks for all your help =)

6. Tide31

Tide31

Agree. I chart the E-Mini, but trade the SPY (SPY tends to have misprints and throws off charts). It works vice-versa as well. They are so linked together that if you watch closely you will see the SPY trade in a .03 - .04 cent range, back and forth, then tick up and trade in a .03-.04 cent range there. This is because of the e-mini's ticking back and forth off its .25 pt spread. This is how closely they are linked by computer algorithms. They try to buy on the bid of the mini and sell .04 cents equivalent higher on the SPY. If you watch them together during a move, shifting your eyes back and forth between mkts or charts, its impossible to differentiate which one is the 'dog that wags the tail'. - One day I had way too much time on my hands. Seriously though, check this out, and yes you can use the SPY to real time chart the e-mini. You can do the math to figure out the days 'equilibrium', but remember because of days to expiration for futures and cost of money it changes daily.

7. M3peat

M3peat

I think you are missing X trader's charting capability b/c its a demo but you get the charting once you give them your money.

I personally don't understand that since it would give the you complete package demo, like what Etrade does (gives you the charting as well).