Can you be profitable with random entry?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Tremaine, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Tremaine

Tremaine

Thanks Bolter.

Has anyone achieved similar results?

#21     Jun 11, 2006
  2. Amazom.com for Books => " Market Neutral"

#22     Jun 11, 2006
  3. many prop scalpers do this but don't realize that they do. i see guys testing long and short repeatedly on a stock or sector all day to what seems like random entry. it's basically cutting losers and riding winners.

assuming 50/50 chance of correct move on stock entry during specified time period, a cut losses ride winner strategy works. traders may fail in non-random entry because their probability of calling correct move could be <50%.. which is inferior to random entry (coin flip 50/50)

#23     Jun 11, 2006
  4. Tremaine

Tremaine

Not that I'm in any way an expert on the subject, but what do market neutral strategies have to do with random entry? All market neutral strategies that I know of rely on prediction.

#24     Jun 11, 2006
  5. Tremaine

Tremaine

Thanks Lights. This seems to support the view that random entry can be used for small profits (and hence may be a reasonable strategy for scalpers).

Anyone else?

#25     Jun 11, 2006
  6. Just 2 cents:
    Probably trading 5 pairs (=10) markets of strong negative correlations with always long (or always short) entries would be actually a market neutral system.

#26     Jun 11, 2006
  7. trader who calls >50% correct move on entry obviously superior and outperforms the herd

however, it seems that the coin at 50% is a better trader than most speculators.

this is what makes a market.

#27     Jun 11, 2006
  8. Personally I wouldn't call that random entries, even nothing close to.

#28     Jun 11, 2006
  9. Tremaine

Tremaine

Intersting point of view :)

#29     Jun 11, 2006
  10. Tremaine

Tremaine

Just to be clear: VT would flip the coin everytime he took a new position. At any given time he would (most likely) have both long and short positions.

#30     Jun 11, 2006