Can you be profitable with random entry?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Tremaine, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Tremaine

Tremaine

#11     Jun 11, 2006
  2. Tremaine

Tremaine

Yes. One position in each market at a time.

#12     Jun 11, 2006
  3. #13     Jun 11, 2006
  4. indeed :confused: :D :confused:

#14     Jun 11, 2006
  5. #15     Jun 11, 2006
  6. bolter

bolter

I use random entries extensively in testing and benchmarking trendfollowing systems, primarily in two capacities:

1. For testing exit mechanisms. A good exit mechanism should be profitable when combined with random entries across a number of markets over time.

2. For measuring the effectivness of entry signals. It's quite amazing how many conventional entry "signals" fail to match the performance of pure random entries.

My results are consistent with VT's claims.

#16     Jun 11, 2006
  7. romik

romik

I don't see the logic in making a decision based on a coin flip, surely one, who has at least some knowledge about the markets, has more favourable chances using his own brain rather than a thoughtless process.

#17     Jun 11, 2006
  8. The most secure road to the poorhouse.

PS: That's almost as good as Jack's (as I pointed out before).

#18     Jun 11, 2006
  9. hush ....
    Don't tell anybody about all this. Get rich quietly. :D

PS: I understand, you can't have been making money for a long time. You would know better otherwise.

#19     Jun 11, 2006
  10. Tremaine

Tremaine

Nobody is saying that using random entry is a good idea. The challenge is obviously to beat random entry when you design this part of your system.

On the other hand: If making consistent profits (however small) with random entry is possible in certain markets, and if many people trade succesfully with systems have a reliability similar to random entry, then perhaps entry this is not the most important component of a trading system.

#20     Jun 11, 2006