Can we share intraday data legally?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Sam Mcgee, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Does anyone know if it is legal for me to save intraday data from Interactive Brokers and then post it on the internet for others to download? When we sign up for the data I wonder if there is some part of the agreement that prevents us from doing that?

2. Uni

Uni

Don't know, but why don't you just email IB and ask 'em?

Uni

3. The ideas of sharing FREE (or VERY CHEAP) REALTIME or LARGE DETAIL HISTORICAL market data in P2P networks have existed for a long time. But I wonder why there is still no implementation or commitment. Or maybe there are underground network doing this. Why underground. This should be perfect legal as fair usage. If you know these networks, please let us know. If you can franchise such a project and need implementers, I certainly want to help with very little return.

4. I agree, it would be nice if there was a file server set up where we could share all kinds of historical data. Most data providers only give you a few weeks of intraday data for a high monthly fee. A few weeks of data is hardly of much use for any real backtesting.

You can have a CD made with historical data but that can cost hundreds. Then six months later your CD of data is too old and you have to buy a new one.

As far as I understand, we, the traders created that data. I don't think that anyone has an exclusive right to it. Shouldn't it be ours to share or do with it whatever we like?