Can we be naturally humble traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by RGLD, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Nobert

Nobert

When ego gets out of control... The moments, when one gets (i hope) disgusted by himself - the most.
    I see a pattern, that, whenever the mind is full of negative, egoistic thoughts, - that day, haven't rested well, am tired.
    Also being with little kids, spending time with them, just playing their stupid games (smiles), makes one to focus on the beauty of life & potential & realization that one can have an impact on making the future better, if not for thy self, then for em.

Solution : more rest & more time with kidos. Charity might help too.
    Noneless, the demon side is aaaalways there... Sleeping or watching your actions quietly.

Accept your shadow part & keep it control.

#21     Aug 4, 2020
  2. RGLD

RGLD

The man is recovering from brain damage right now for being on an "all meat" diet for too long. He had to take medicine because people kept harassing his humbleness! If you want to pick a fight with someone pick someone who is not so Tepid. Like Shapiro or Mark Rubin.

#22     Aug 4, 2020
  3. Nobert

Nobert

I just miss the point of your post.

#23     Aug 4, 2020
  4. oshjdf

oshjdf

The only way to be humble is to be realistic. One can be realistic by experiencing it or learning from others.

In the context of learning from others in trading, statistics from a trading system also falls into this category. Of course not all trading systems can be backtested but you have choice to choose trading system that can be backtested or not.

#24     Aug 4, 2020
  5. A successful trader is humble, not self-centered. For a trader who thinks he knows everything, the market usually quickly proves him wrong. A moderate position allows a trader to be ready to quickly admit mistakes, close unprofitable deals and move on without losing confidence. An egocentric trader is more inclined to fight the market, which can potentially lead to days of huge losses or possible account zeroing. There is no need to make money on every deal, or even on every trading day and every trading week. A humble trader is able to admit that on that day he only loses on trades, and stop trading until the market situation is better suited to his trading style. It is less likely that a humble trader will double a too dangerous deal to get back what he has already lost in a deal or a trading day. A humble trader proves nothing to anyone, he can easily admit mistakes in front of himself and others, which allows to react quickly and easily to what the market tells him now, paying little attention to the contradictions with what he expected just a minute earlier. A successful trader can't tie his own image or self-esteem to a single trade or a single trading day. Humble behavior simply allows you to view each trade individually as irrelevant and allows you to focus on doing what is right rather than being right. It seems to me that it is possible to be a humble trader without losses, but a person should have the ability to be so.

#25     Aug 5, 2020
    marketpugilists and Dwayne like this.
  6. Very well stated but very hard to do for humans. If I could tweek it a little, I do think it is a paradox of both being humble and having high-degree of self-confidence (not ego) if one is trading, and know when to adjust the dial. In this case, I'm equating trading to a performance sport. When the cameras and lights are on, being too humble may not get you as far as the individual that can can momentarily transform into an alter-ego for performance at the moment. Maybe I'm wrong but a 100% humbled individual was invest in index funds and not even attempt to trade.

#26     Aug 15, 2020
    beginner66 likes this.
  7. RGLD

RGLD

Exactly, but this "trader" doesn't become humble unless he had heavy losses in the past. Is it possible to be humble without nearly losing everything in past experiences?! Perhaps.

#27     Aug 15, 2020
  8. ..on further thought, true and very rare! Same way people find religion only at rock bottom...never when they were on top.

#28     Aug 16, 2020
  9. Dwayne

Dwayne

Totally agree!

#29     Aug 17, 2020