Can we be naturally humble traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by RGLD, Jul 30, 2020.

1. RGLD

RGLD

To my experience, people don't usually become humble unless something bad happened. Do you think it's rare for a trader or even people to be humble without suffering significant losses what-so-ever?

oshjdf and Nobert like this.
  2. TheFoot

TheFoot

Interesting point. Makes a lot of sence. But on another note. Sometimes that's the best way to learn and become better as a trader and as a human.

Nobert likes this.
  3. TheFoot

TheFoot

But to answer your question I would say it probably is rare if you were naturally not humble to begin with or if you weren't raised to be humble, but that's just my opinion

4. TheFoot

TheFoot

For me speaking from my own experience I'd say your statement is true.

5. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

Money changes people. That's why even though I'm successful I do my best to keep a humble attitude even though there is a lot of stupidity I have to deal with, which is not easy. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that not everyone is smart, and if someone treats you poorly, you just have to realize that their life probably sucks so bad that they have to treat others poorly to make themselves feel better about themselves. And it's very, very sad to see this happen. I don't ever get angry with anyone because I know that they are probably going through some things in their own lives to make them act the way they do. I just smile and say "Have a nice day" and just leave it at that. There is no need for yelling or screaming or even violence.

Relentless and yogi_trader like this.
  6. TheFoot

TheFoot

I agree 100 pecent on this.

Trader Curt likes this.
  7. RGLD

RGLD

Yes but what does that have to do with being humble? You're just ignoring bad influences. That's not being humble. lol

8. Why would I be humble, I'm awesome XD.

9. Peter8519

Peter8519

Maybe a little practice of mindfulness will help. It serves as a mirror to our actions. All traders want to be right but that's for the market to judge. We often see heated argument in forums because each side wants to be right. We know little and think we are right but not know enough to know we are wrong. With this thought in mind, hopefully we can have our ego in check and be humble. In this business, knowing we are wrong is just as important because it protects our account.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    ironchef and comagnum like this.
  10. Internet doesn't help,either full of people talking BS. Doesn't have to be trading, look at any forum or discipline, e.g. bodybuilding, loads claiming they are ripped, lift 3 plates a side never upload a photo, many that do upload photos, are on roids but deny it. Other forums 'experts' just google something and change the text and pass it off as their own. I am on language forums and people claim (in English) they learnt fluent Chinese / Japanese in 6 months, its total bull. The average person thinks they have an IQ greater than 100 yet fail to understand where the value 100 comes from . Point is that you don't get caught out online so start developing a inflated sense of ego

I think getting older and you don't bother with the bragging and coming back to your original question, yes you need the passage of time, ups and especially the hards knocks for reality to set in.

I am approaching 50 and done a lot in my life but to be honest I am not gifted, just took decades of work, chipping away every day, getting frustrated, wanting to quit, self doubt etc.
    No matter what you do, its just takes years of dedication before one day it finally 'clicks' and you can immediately see who is full of hot air or not.

#10     Jul 31, 2020
    d08 likes this.