can tws c++ api be run on window 10?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by trend2009, Jun 23, 2021.

1. my current bot was written on xp and visual studio 6. recently I plan to upgrade to window 10. so I downloaded visual c++ 2019, which can not compile the sample code downloaded from interactivebrokers. I tried to run those sample codes in visual 2012, 2013, 2015,2017, none of them solved the problem. I remember I successfully ran the sample under visual c++ 2017 on window 7, but still with tons of warnings. window 7 is out of support from microsoft, so anyone successfully ran tws c++ api on window 10?

c++ is so hard to maintain, every several years, the new version of ide can not compile prior version. instead, I had a large java project which I wrote in 2019-2020, it can still compile and run as 20 years ago. on the other hand, it is hard to understand other people's c++ codes, while java is much better to understand. people have stereotype notion that java runs slower , so traders tend to choose c++ for the sake of speed. but it is not anymore. I did test comparing java and c++ on scientific computations, java is faster.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. If you are asking these questions... good luck my friend, you are going to need it

jharmon likes this.
  3. greejan

greejan

The IB API is available in several programming languages, including Java or even Python. You can compile the C++ API in VS, but not without some modifications.

4. typo. The large java project I finished was back in 1999-2000.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    jtrader33 likes this.
  5. Were you able to compile on win10?

6. traider

traider

Don't upgrade windows 10 has tons of bloatware and very difficult to turn off updates which will kill your trading server during the most critical times

7. greejan

greejan

Yes, but that was some years ago. VS2015 and VS2017 iirc. I've now switched to Python, which I totally recommend you unless you have to perform very complex/long computations in very short timeframes.

Try the Python or Java API, whatever you feel more comfortable with, but Python seems to be the way forward in the sector.

8. xandman

xandman

Maybe it is an issue with your C++ redistributable. The are different versions and a lot of people expect them to be automatically installed.

9. guru

guru

I run it on Windows 7 with VS 2019 and C#. Don’t remember ever having any issues, though last time I probably compiled TWS stuff couple years ago with VS 2017. Now just using that compiled component, but don’t see why it wouldn’t recompile again under VS 2019.
    C# should be as fast, if not faster than Java, and has great support and constantly evolving libraries and components.

10. Are you running your automated bots at home on Windows 7? Have you tried Windows Servers?

We operate reliable, high performance servers in Chicago and NY, specifically built for running critical trading applications 24/7. Our co-located datacenters have multiple network redundancies so you are protected against internet outages, and don't need to have your computers at home always running.

#10     Jun 23, 2021