Can too many restores cause a problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bearbelly, Aug 4, 2006.

1. If I even think I have got a virus or just get too many programs that Im no longer using I will do a full restore. So far Ive probably done a half dozen on this computer and I am wondering if this can be overdone and cause problems eventually. Any comments appreciated.

2. I've never heard of doing too many "back to the out-of-the-box" restores on a desk top. I've done three already and each time it works real good.

But as far as doing too many "restore points" I don't know. I've restored my computer back to previous dates several times with no problems. However, the last few times I tried my computer refused the request with no explaination. I have not tried it since. The next time my computer gives me major problems I'll do a full "back-to-the-beginning" restore. I usually develop problems after downloading some of Window's patches. I've learned to download them one at a time to isolate the culprit(s).

-1bigsteve (o:

3. Thanks for the reply steve. I have had so many experiences where formatting did not remove all files that I am a little paranoid, I guess. Do you know for certain if a full restore does totally erase all old files? I know a partial restore does not as I have seen folders that were installed after the restore point still show up.

4. dcvtss

dcvtss

If you are talking about reloading the system completely (which I think you are) you should be fine. I've worked in IT departments where we literally re-image the machines dozens of times.

5. ak15

ak15

The problem with restoring is if you restore your pc going back to a particular date say for example July 10, 2006 and then later on try to restore again to a date earlier than July 10, 2006 it won't work. However you can restore to a date that falls after July 10, 2006. I am talking about system restores on XP. My comments may not apply to other operating systems.

6. Doing a "full smash" restore, does erase everything and reloads all of the original software that came with the computer. Any of your files, photos, documents, email, etc., gets erased.

Using a "restore point" will not erase much but will just change your computer's settings to an earlier date, so I'm told.

I use Webroot's "Window Washer" to clean my hard drive. It is real neat. Even after I delete temporary internet files, cookies and internet history I find I still have internet crumbs. Window Washer finds these crumbs and "poof" there gone. It has already deleted several MB's of internet crap that XP failed to delete or chose not to delete.

It also has a "bleach" provision that you can use to erase and clean all of your free space, bringing your computer back to the original state it was in before you turned on the computer for the first time. It is nice to use if you want to sell, donate or throw away your computer. It will clean everything including your credit card numbers, SS, pass words, trading account info, etc., etc. I love it. Well worth the money.

-1bigsteve (o:

7. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

yeah, the only clean way to do a restore is to boot from the CD, format the HD and re-install the OS & all apps from scratch. Be sure to back up your data first.

The "system restore" feature of Windows takes snapshots of the system settings each time to provide a rollback feature. But it's far from complete and can't restore all system files that have been replaced and updated since the previous snapshot. The older files have been permanently deleted and replaced by later software-installations. So a restore after that will be only partially effective.

8. Holmes

Holmes

if you use Acronis from inside XP then eventually you'll get registry problems. If you on the other hand boot and then press F11 to get to acronis (hidden partition boot) then you will not have this problem. Alternatively use PQDI (Power Quest Disk Imager, now bought up by Norton)

Holmes

9. gnome

gnome

Your system constantly degrades from use and updates, so you periodically have to "reinstall everything from scratch".

However the effort can be minimized as well as providing backup protection....

1. Use Acronis True Image to clone your hard drive.

2. On a fresh install, add the programs that rarely or never change. Clone this HD, keep it up to date with patches.... it can become your "base".

3. When your "operating HD" has become gunked up enough you need to do a fresh install, just clone from your base and update the other programs.

10. Too many restores?

HELL YEAH THEY CAUSE PROBLEMS!!!

Microsoft is going to disable your key for windows XP, that is what is going to happen.

I probably reinstalled 20 times, and after the 20th (I guess that is the limit) they disabled my license, and all attempts to call tech support was useless.

They key came with an older computer (Compaq) that I bought over 4 years ago, but guess what. This stupidity on Microsoft has forced me to obtain their software in "OTHER" ways.

I hate it. It's funny when companies that you buy software from, all most force you to obtain it in other ways because of their stupid rules.

So, just watch out.... if you keep reinstalling XP

So be aware when doing a full re-install of XP.

I did it so many times because of experimentation of Linux, I think that was cause of at least 15 reinstalls (screwed up Gentoo installations)

Your key will get shut down.

Mine did. I'm going to have it re-activated once Vista comes out because I'm certainly not paying full price for it when I already have a legal copy. Total BS on MS.

#10     Aug 11, 2006