Can this be automated?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mtcx2009, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mtcx2009

mtcx2009

What if I wanted to define bar charts, plain bar charts?

For example short on a Doji type bar or long on outside bar or something?

How would I go about getting the logic from the chart into something that fires out an order and a stop?

Also how would I control things if two orders went off back to back?

Is anyone out here actually running thier own system this way live?

Thanks in advance...

2. ddefina

ddefina

Ninja trader, which is free until you start live trading, has a wizard that allows you to do simple programming like you are looking for quickly. If you need more advanced programming you can use the wizard to start a base program, transfer over to code and then use C# to make it more advanced.

3. I like your approach because it is based on price action. This is also what I have being doing since I abandoned indicators and TA. I use some TA for stop entry basically but that's about it.

You need to do 3 things:

(1) Choose a trading platform first. I agree about NInjaTrader. It is a good product and if you choose follow the instructions of ddefina above. I bit difficult for people not familiar with C# if they need to make changes to the code. Tradestation is another good choice but you are tied to their own brokerage. However they take care of data integrity, etc. Pros and cons as usually.

(2) Get the logic of the system right.

(3) Add order management to the logic You should also add risk and money management.

By the way, I highly recommend a neat program that finds automatically price patterns based on criteria you specify. This program has a unique feature of automatically generating code for many trading programs, including NinjaTrader and Tradestation. I have an older version but it's good enough for my purposes.