can the UK regain the spirit which made it a powerhouse a long time ago?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Sep 3, 2011.

can the UK be an economic powerhouse again? ?n?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. no

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  3. maybe

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. question is too philosophical to answer.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Humpy

Humpy

Maybe France has some answers, like :-

1. Who the hell cares if foreigners labour all day for some fat cat business prick.
    2. Bring on the good food and afterwards I shall spend the whole afternoon with my mistress
    3. The wife, bless her, is busy with the children
    4. Foreigners belch and fart a lot and their manners are like their food - disgusting.
    5. Foreigners have no principles or appreciation of art and beauty whatsoever, they spend all day just trying to make money ! Imbeciles.
    6. Foreigners ............oh well lets not labour the point

:D

#41     Sep 4, 2011
  2. Having foreigners own everything in your country is a consequence of having an uncompetitive economy. After all, it's all just finance. Your economy sucks, the pound goes down, foreigners come in to pick up assets on the cheap.

UK's time is past. They became powerful centuries ago and to their credit stayed #1. What's the most interesting is what they will do in the future. It seems they wanted to stay out of the euro because they wanted to be this financial center. That was pushed ahead by politicians ahead of having an actual economy making things and well, that didn't work out.

#42     Sep 4, 2011
  3. sheda

sheda

"It seems they wanted to stay out of the euro because they wanted to be this financial center"

Or perhaps because it was fucked from day one?

#43     Sep 4, 2011
  4. Please tell me why the euro is fucked.

#44     Sep 4, 2011
  5. England stayed out because they knew that Europe was their whore, and they can get in anymore they want, if they want, and for free. So they stay out to see how it works out. If it had worked out, they would get in. The french have a complex towards the Germans, and the British, so they would welcome England to ass enter them anytime the Brits please it.

#45     Sep 4, 2011
  6. #46     Sep 4, 2011
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Currently 4 million out of 20 million households in the UK have no wage earner and survive on Govt handouts and crime.

2nd rate politicians seem to have made it this way + the modern "pigsty" culture from u no where

#47     Sep 5, 2011
  8. I voted 'yes' because I believe it's a possibility.

The Roman Empire is still with us in the form of the Catholic church. The Brits' military empire may be still in the process of transforming into a financial empire.

#48     Sep 5, 2011
  9. Humpy

Humpy

They actually tried using the Church in Britain to govern, instead of a useless Parliament in the 17th Century. It didn't last very long. Hopelessly out of touch with the country's problems. Only 2 weeks ago some doddery ole Bishop was on the radio talking about the riots.
    His solution was to blame ourselves and lots of prayer - well really !!

We need some fair and firm govt from competent people not the usual selfish greedy lot. My worry is that the democracies are unable to solve the world's problems and they will get much worse.

Our new Prime Minister seems to think the UK taxpayers should feed the starving millions around the world !! The idiot

#49     Sep 5, 2011
  10. The Church is powerless and irrelevant. Prayer solves nothing.

The general population of any true democracy should determine its nation's fate. The people of Britain are not obliged to save the world but they are obliged to save themselves. All bona fide Brits should be guaranteed access to opportunity to better themselves; this does not mean opportunity to laze about sucking up welfare generation after generation.

#50     Sep 5, 2011