can the UK regain the spirit which made it a powerhouse a long time ago?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Sep 3, 2011.

can the UK be an economic powerhouse again? ?n?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. no

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  3. maybe

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. question is too philosophical to answer.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. pupu

pupu

UK will rise again as part the the islamic nation.

Once it is integrated to the nation within a generation or two with the rest of Europe

#31     Sep 4, 2011
  2. Visaria

Visaria

With all due respect to zdreg, the thread should be closed. The answer is emphatically no.

Another thread asking the same question regarding the United States would be of more interest.

#32     Sep 4, 2011
  3. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

wow. so now you think you possess the skills of telepathy.
    being delusional is no credible alternative to common sense is it?

sorry, i am unable to justify spending any more time arguing with a fool. i am not here to educate fools, and im not really bothered about proving myself right to a fool - especially on issues that are obvious to any one who has spent extensive amounts of time in the uk.

however, the following may enlighten some other readers of this thread (originally posted by maverick74 in another thread)

http://tiny.cc/xochw

#33     Sep 4, 2011
  4. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

another silly remark. especially given that currently there are only 26 results - not even enough samples to be of any statistical significance.

the usa NEVER had the world wide dominance the uk once had.

when did the usa EVER rule 2/3 of the world?

also, the uk is not bankrupt - or at least not to the same extent the usa is, so your futile idea is a non starter.

#34     Sep 4, 2011
  5. Visaria

Visaria

My dear chap, it was you who didn't state which part of London you were referring to... it would therefore seem that you thought i had powers of telepathy, i certainly don't though!

#35     Sep 4, 2011
  6. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

so now you are trying to back peddle your way out. fine. i will be a gentleman and let you melt away into the night with only your pride and ego bruised.

it's pertinently obvious - so obvious that most residential houses will be owned by the locals of that city - so obvious it doesnt need stating. but what has residential home ownership have to do with that countries economic prowess? furthermore, it would seem that if what john cleese says is correct, the majority of londoners are not even english! this of course furthers my point, but i feel you have learnt your lesson so i will not labor the point any further.

go and lick your wounds little pup.

#36     Sep 4, 2011
  7. Visaria

Visaria

You're quoting the Sun newspaper!!!! Possibly the cheapest and tackiest of all the tabloids in the UK. The NY Post is like the WSJ in comparison.

The UK used to be powerhouse, it was the wealthiest country in the world in 1918 or so, had to bailed out in 1975 by the IMF, will it regain the spirit? No.

The US is still a powerhouse, still the richest country in the world (well, sort of) but perhaps not as much as it was say in the 1980s+'90s. Pretty much on the decline, will it ever regain the spirit? More interesting question, imho.

#37     Sep 4, 2011
  8. Visaria

Visaria

I fear you are the one back pedalling since you only need to look at your own posts to see what you have stated. You stated London, not Chelsea or anywhere else.

I have no idea. You must again think i'm telepathic, I can only deny this so many times.

I like John Cleese, v funny. Not the most intellectual chap, but what the hell.

http://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-letter-to-america/

edit: I take it back, he's comic genius, we're reading this and rofl our arses off! :D :D

#38     Sep 4, 2011
  9. zdreg

zdreg

let's not forget that the upper class was flirting with the nazis prior to ww11.

it is time england accepts the reality it was kicked out of palestine by a ragtag bunch of jews .60+ years is a long time to hold a grudge

#39     Sep 4, 2011
  10. I would hardly say we hold a grudge as time has moved on. Israel is just another middle east state to most people here mostly known for its conflict with its neighbors.

#40     Sep 4, 2011