Can the tiny house movement end homelessness?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Humpy

Humpy

I have always thought that living in a mobile home and travelling around a country would be a good way to see it. Internet connected of course.

#61     Sep 1, 2016
    tue likes this.
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

I know. In New York it's really bad:

#62     Sep 1, 2016
  3. NoBias

NoBias

[​IMG]

Not an entirely new concept... eventually the same result...

#63     Sep 1, 2016
    VPhantom likes this.
  4. NoBias

NoBias

Another reason NOT to have cheap homes for the homeless.

#64     Sep 1, 2016
    MKTrader likes this.
  5. VPhantom

VPhantom

Demolition Man. I don't know how to use the three shells, though.

Damn they're packed tightly...

Attempting just that in the coming years, Class A motor-home, Cradlepoint enterprise-grade Wi-Fi/cellular router.

(Too bad I started out by getting screwed on hidden delamination and mold. Like for many things in life, you need to make your mistakes on that first one... which was thankfully cheap; now I know why.)

#65     Sep 6, 2016
  6. Humpy

Humpy

We are more caring and civilised in the UK and the Councils build homes for the poor. Mrs. Thatcher sold off thousands of them cheaply to tenants years ago. Now we got penniless immigrants too. Personally I would relieve the Billionaires of the burden of so much money to build some in the States. Not all of you have hearts of stone. Just most of you. Remember where you came from.

#66     Sep 10, 2016
    VPhantom likes this.
  7. nitro

nitro

Detroit is getting a neighborhood of tiny homes that homeless people rent to own
    [​IMG]
    Tech Insider

Dana Varinsky 23 hrs ago

tiny.img.jpg

1/4 SLIDES © Provided by Business Insider Inc
    Cass Detroit tiny home
    Tiny homes are being built around the country for a variety of reasons — some are designed for affordability, others are prefabricated to be constructed quickly, and some are made by people who simply choose to live a minimalist lifestyle.

In Detroit, an entire neighborhood of tiny houses is under construction, with one primary goal: giving homeless and low-income people the opportunity to own a house.

A local nonprofit organization called Cass Community Social Services is spearheading the project, which will build 25 single-family homes ranging from 250 to 400 square feet. The first house was completed in September, and six more are expected to be built by the end of the year.

At least half of the 25 houses will be occupied by formerly homeless people, with seniors, college students and Cass staff members making up the rest of the population.

The concept of providing tiny houses for low-income people isn’t new — San Jose, California recently passed a law to facilitate the construction of tiny homes for the homeless, and many other cities, including Austin, Texas and Portland, Oregon have created villages of tiny homes for the homeless. These initiatives are supported by research that suggests the most efficient way to combat homelessness is to simply provide those living on the streets with homes.

But the Detroit model is different for an important reason: It's the only tiny house community in the country where residents rent to own.

"Everybody is talking right now about ending homelessness, but really the goal for this project is to end poverty for these families," Reverend Faith Fowler, the executive director of Cass, tells Business Insider.

When they move in, residents will start by signing a one-year lease with a stipulated rent that amounts to no more than one third of their monthly income. They'll continue to sign new annual leases for their first three years in the home (as long as they pay rent on time and comply with the rest of the terms).

After three years, they’ll be invited to sign a land contract that amounts to the total rent for four subsequent years. After paying that off (seven years after moving in), the resident will legally become the owner of the land and home. Their rent will have essentially bought them the house.

Fowler says the hope is that the homes can become cushions the residents can fall back on in times of crisis, and can allow them to take out loans with better interest rates.

"You have something to leave on generationally in your family, which is part of the American Dream," she says. ..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...less-people-rent-to-own/ar-AAj6tx1?li=BBnb7Kz

#67     Oct 24, 2016
  8. tue

tue

I DON't get this at all-- why not just live in a condo? why the trendy need for a tiny house? Seems humilating at a maximum level, perhaps sadists like these things. Much smarter to be mobile if you want to live tiny---

#68     Oct 24, 2016
  9. Sig

Sig

True, although condo's tend to turn into "the Projects" so there's been a definite trend away from large concentrated low income housing in the U.S. at least.

#69     Oct 24, 2016
  10. nitro

nitro

The "assesment"

#70     Oct 24, 2016