Can the tiny house movement end homelessness?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sig

Sig

That's a very helpful and intelligent comment.

#51     Aug 4, 2016
  2. Handle123

Handle123

I think both, being alone on streets, they see the worst in people that pass them by wishing they were invisible, people are afraid of them, and for good reason, homeless people on the streets seldom take many showers, so all of it can make one have mental issues. And those who don't want to take their meds and conform to generic public become homeless. Just check out Unibomber, very smart man who would never been caught for it wasn't for his brother.

Unless a complex is run by bunch of security people, small homes will be trashed and set on fire. Those small homes are also "thin" and not like a concrete block. I have checked them out and when leaning on a wall, I feel like I will roll whole house, LOL. Couple years ago I bought several Containers out of Houston area, tried making a small storage area, good and bad in them, but you put in the time, they a much better than storage you buy at Lowes and they won't blow away. Next time I will buy a day cab and rail trailers to haul them, they be cheaper to make barns out of them. They stack nicely, put in main bearing poles in middle and along walls to support roof, save ton of cash and so long as one maintains, last long time.

#52     Aug 4, 2016
    VPhantom likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Smart.

I've owned several 20 foot intermodal containers over the years. Best storage there is. And the 20 footers can be moved by a standard roll-back tow truck.

#53     Aug 4, 2016
    Handle123 likes this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

I was thinking of getting 4-48 footers for each story, one on each side of the door, get steel beams across at 20 feet high then use smaller containers above doorways. Make 3-4 five foot doors in each 48 footer for horses or cows/calves and 48 footer on sides, then run them higher and have doors only on inside. Weld or Bolt everything together. You are right, great storage. I was thinking a roof above all this and one foot opening near top for ventilation but have something like hinged doors to close in winter.

#54     Aug 4, 2016
  5. nitro

nitro

After watching a recent documentary on tiny house living, Las Vegas native Paul Wolford decided to ditch his big house and substantially downsize. “In our house, we used maybe one or two rooms. We had a lot of wasted space,” he said. “We realized we didn’t want all of the clutter and useless things.”

Wolford is far from alone. Tiny houses — typically 400 square feet in size or less — have popped up around the country over the last decade, as more people choose to opt out of the increasingly expensive traditional U.S. housing market.

If you’re one of the growing number of people interested in tiny house living, you can weigh a number of factors to help you decide whether renting a tiny home or buying one makes the most sense. Here are some of the most important details so you can easily compare the options...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...sus-buying-a-tiny-house/ar-BBuuOPa?li=BBnb7Kz

#55     Aug 6, 2016
  6. nitro

nitro

#56     Aug 6, 2016
  7. nitro

nitro

#57     Aug 6, 2016
  8. [​IMG] The tiny homes will be steel framed with timber floors, have rainwater tanks and compostable toilets.

[​IMG] Each home will have insulated panels and be self-supporting, allowing for easy construction.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    #58     Aug 31, 2016
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Homeless people would not be able to afford even this price---neither would they want to .

#59     Sep 1, 2016
  10. Humpy

Humpy

Recently I saw a documentary on a subterranean city in the US of homeless people. No one notices them but they are there in their hundreds. And just where you may ask is this mini metropolis - Las Vegas storm drains. The flash floods usually kill a fair few but the rest survive in the dark. I expect other big cities have their poor people too, hiding underground.

In Cooberpedie, Australia even better off people live in the caves and tunnels dug out by the opal miners. It is much cooler underground in the baking hot summers.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    #60     Sep 1, 2016