Can the tiny house movement end homelessness?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 9, 2016.

1. nitro

nitro

Agreed. And the carbon footprint on a tiny house is considerably less. Energy efficiency scales down as the ^3 of space. BTW, I don't think a 600 sq foot home is considered "tiny". I think the definition is less than 300^2/ft.

My dream is to have a tiny house that collects rain water and treats it to drink. Then with a small fusion reactor the size of a suitcase, I can live anywhere. The only problem is waste.

Maybe put my tiny house in Chilean mountains to do astronomy:

chile.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    #31     Mar 14, 2016
    VPhantom likes this.
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I know a guy that lives on his small yacht (a trader) for the past 8 years and I know another guy that lives on a "house boat" (a trader) for the past 20 years. Different laws, taxes and fees when comparing the two.

Just in case someone doesn't know what is a "house boat"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houseboat#/media/File:LakeUnionHouseboat.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/interiors/10171214/Interiors-a-houseboat-like-no-other.html

Then there are other types of "house boats" that actually do move (travel) on the water in comparison to the ones at the link above because the other types are usually used in the leisure industry as hotels or small unique cruises you see out of Asia and India.

#32     Mar 14, 2016
  3. nitro

nitro

#33     Mar 14, 2016
  4. toolazy

toolazy

Imagine everyone get an idea to live in tiny house. Where are taxes, building jobs, land prices...

empire is too poor to let this happen.

RE agent looked at me with horror when I suggested that studio of 30m2 is perfect size for 2 empty nesters.

Well, it is. Especially house of 30m2 in nice location and outdoors has it all.

#34     Mar 14, 2016
  5. Complete nonsense-- move to detroit, all the large homes you want for under $5000--- further more, why not just move into a studio apartment? just another dying fad

#35     Mar 14, 2016
  6. VPhantom

VPhantom

I assume you're missing at least one zero in there.

#36     Mar 14, 2016
  7. #37     Mar 14, 2016
  8. nitro

nitro

#38     Mar 14, 2016
  9. VPhantom

VPhantom

Clickbait title: there's no mention of said car in the entire video, the thumbnail isn't even from the video itself.

I also chuckled at "we will never run out" (of thorium). :) Because of course, once we get a dramatically lower cost for energy, we'll find ways to skyrocket our consumption accordingly into a new equilibrium (just look at computer processing power or data storage capacity).

#39     Mar 15, 2016
  10. VPhantom

VPhantom

Now all I need is an immigrant visa (the current political climate must make this pretty easy, huh...) and a huge renovation budget that'll nullify the apparent savings. ;)

#40     Mar 15, 2016
    marketsurfer likes this.