Can the tiny house movement end homelessness?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sig

Sig

Thank you for making my point so well for me. You just posted a link to a google search for "multi generational welfare statistics" (thank you, I had no idea how to use Google). When I click the very first link on the search results, an article in the right leaning National Review magazine, the first two sentences of the resulting article are:
    "Does parents’ depending on welfare create welfare dependency in their children? It’s an important question, but there is very little evidence out there on it."!!! It goes on to confirm exactly what I've been saying here. There's very little evidence and the best evidence of they could come up with was the results of a Norwegian study. And this is William F. Buckley's National Review!

Seriously, why do you believe what you do? I used to think along lines that were very similar to yours. My family and those around me just passed on as fact to me that we'd all be fine in this country except for those lazy welfare people who spent their whole life living off our hard work. Then I actually got to know some of those allegedly lazy welfare people. And started looking at the actual laws and statistics. And came to realize that what I had believed wasn't based on any objective facts, I'd just always believed it and never been forced to confront the basis for my belief. When I realized that there was no basis for my prior belief, and both anecdotal and data based evidence in fact showed the contrary, I changed my view on the subject. You know, kind of the scientific method, basis of pretty much all knowledge over the last couple hundred years.
    Have you thought about why you believe what you do? Do you know why you are so sure that there are all these people out there? Have you ever even stopped to really think about the basis for your belief, or do you just believe it and when challenged you try to go find evidence to support that prior belief even though you only fell into it originally? Is that really the best way to view the world?

#111     Nov 17, 2016
    Sprout and OddTrader like this.
  2. Most folks support a safety-net for those in genuine need, but are enraged by abuses. That's really the bottom line.

#112     Nov 17, 2016
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Sig

Sig

I'm with you on that, I'm as enraged as anyone. The point being that the Arnie's of the world believe that there is a significant portion of the population abusing this system with generations living their entire lifetime on welfare, and the truth is that the abuses are rare and generally prosecuted when found, and there are in fact not generations of people living their entire lifetime on welfare.

#113     Nov 17, 2016
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. "
    At a Brooklyn Bodega,
    a Secret Shelter for the Homeless

For the last 14 years, Candido Arcángel has quietly taken in the homeless, allowing them to stay in a crude shelter in the store’s cellar."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    #114     Jan 11, 2018
  5. Perhaps, homelessness is an extremely challenging issue - as for every individual cases, "We come to realize that the “homeless” have a history and a complexity beyond what we see on the surface. "

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    #115     Jan 11, 2018
    sss12 and murray t turtle like this.
  6. tomorton

tomorton

Agreed. The cause of homelessness is not a shortage of small homes.

#116     Jan 11, 2018
    MoreLeverage and murray t turtle like this.
  7. %% Good read; + if we count corp welfare[ tax breaks, farm products support, oil drilling breaks, mortgage deduction.....] most of USa gets some kind of welfare. Taxes change , they killed the prop tax write off in NY....... somewhat, last tax bill i think:caution::cool:

#117     Jan 11, 2018
  8. Humpy

Humpy

I think I read somewhere that they are using old shipping containers as homes for the homeless.
    They could call it shit hole city.

#118     Jan 12, 2018
  9. Some did that in TX[ shipping container home]; but they got fried, like refried beans.:caution:I checked in with the US border patrol myself, worth the wait.

#119     Jan 19, 2018
  10. Without any knowledge of getting help, a kid escaped from this home-school family could easily become homeless living with great fear.

The daughter's acts this time is just like a miracle, imo.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/turp...ors-escape-for-two-years-20180118-h0kppy.html

January 19 2018 - 10:00AM

Turpin daughter planned California 'House of Horrors' escape for two years

[​IMG]

" The horrific scene was discovered on Sunday when the 17-year-old girl escaped by climbing out a window of the house, in Perris, and calling police from a disconnected mobile phone."

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    #120     Jan 19, 2018