Can the tiny house movement end homelessness?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sig

Sig

Are we talking about "means tested assistance programs" here or welfare payments. You and the others seem to be talking about worthless lazy people who get paid cash money by the government to sit around doing nothing, which is what is usually called "welfare". That program in the U.S. is called TANF and has a 60 month lifetime limit.

There are a number of other programs that fall under the "means tested assistance" umbrella. They include:
    SNAP - Essentially food stamps. We generally agree as a society not to let people starve.
    Medicaid - If you've got cerebral palsy we care enough not to think you're lazy for not working.
    Section 8 Housing - Again, we generally think homelessness isn't something anyone should have to undergo, hence this thread.
    WIC - We generally don't think kids should starve because their parents are lazy.

If you want to call that "welfare" and hate on those people I guess that's up to you. If you think a person can live on Section 8, SNAP, and WIC for an entire lifetime you have no idea how those programs work and have clearly never actually had a real conversation with a real live human who has had to live on them.

#91     Nov 15, 2016
  2. tlatoani

tlatoani

Yah, tough guy G MAN, I just love to take food from babies and single moms. Report them? I prefer to help them.

#92     Nov 15, 2016
  3. Sig

Sig

Generally "slumlords" aren't seen as altruistic paragons of virtue, maybe you're the one benevolent slumlord?

Point is you don't know actually real "generational welfare takers" unless you are counting the Section 8 payments that line your pockets as "welfare"?

#93     Nov 15, 2016
  4. Socio-economic conflict is the reason for homelessness. This issue is beyond monetary policy.

#94     Nov 15, 2016
  5. You must have me confused with another poster, perhaps 'Arnie'... I've never 'hated on' 'those people.'

#95     Nov 15, 2016
  6. Sig

Sig

Yep, I apologize. I was talking DallasCowboysFan, tlatoani, and Arnie. For some reason I had you confused with DallasCowboysFan, my bad.

#96     Nov 15, 2016
  7. Arnie

Arnie

Where did I "hate".

I simply pointed out what goes on.

And for the record, I have no problem helping people that are down and out, but it should not be a lifestyle choice.

#97     Nov 16, 2016
  8. Sig

Sig

Misrepresenting that "We have families around here that have known nothing but welfare. 4 generations over a span of 40-45 years is not uncommon", when as I demonstrated that's just not possible, is certainly not "love"! It clearly doesn't go on, you just have chosen to think it does because exactly no evidence.
    Again, do you personally know a real live human, who you've talked to on a regular basis and know, who has received welfare for over the 60 month federal limit? If so, why don't you report it since you so clearly disagree with it?

#98     Nov 16, 2016
  9. I haven't read anything on here apart from the title, but in regards to the title of the thread, I have a buddy who has started building tiny homes and is getting away with building them for under $10k. I believe the most recent one was something like $6,500 for EVERYTHING including finishing out the inside. Trailer included. Pretty crazy. He has it on AirBnB now for like $70/night. Pretty solid return considering he keeps it rented out most weekends so far. He is a pretty resourceful guy though and has managed to get almost all the lumber for free and then he gets on craigslist and buys leftover things from builds. Say you just finished putting down new flooring in your house and have some leftover. People list it and he buys it for next to nothing basically.

#99     Nov 16, 2016
  10. tlatoani

tlatoani

I certainly dont hate on those people. In fact i LOVE them. ☺️

#100     Nov 16, 2016