Can the tiny house movement end homelessness?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 9, 2016.

1. nitro

nitro

I love it.

Tiny Houses for the Masses: 84 Lumber Launches Packages Starting at $7K

"If you thought the tiny house movement was just a fad, think again. 84 Lumber, a major national retailer of building materials and services, just launched a series of tiny houses, available in flexible packages targeting anyone who might be interested in this lifestyle. In other words, 84 Lumber is out to make tiny house living as accessible as possible, whether the customer is serious DIY-er or somehow who just wants a fast, easy turnkey micro home...."

tinyhouse1.jpg

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/09/tiny...-lumber-launches-packages-starting-at-7k.html

2. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

No ........... The homeless will vandalize that place to make it unlivable. Same reason why there is a lack of public washrooms.

:)

3. nitro

nitro

Well, does homelessness cause mental illness, or does mental illness cause homelessness?

I agree that in the past, public housing can go very wrong, for example Cabrini Green in Chicago.

But it can also go right...

4. yes those houses are very common in Finland. They are not built to last forever. Cheap to build, easy to heat.

5. nitro

nitro

As a trader, I want to see the natural part of the USA like this. But I don't know how practical it is. It looks cool on a picture. Reality might be a very different thing.

houseonwheels.jpg

6. nitro

nitro

Actually if designed correctly, they would be very easy to make go forever. The panels should be easily replaced. And if the frame is ultra strong, what is left to fix?

Too bad I don't speak Finnish.

7. I agree Nitro those tiny homes are cool,but lots of cities wont even allow the homeless to pitch a tent. They are also passing laws forbidding even church groups from feeding the poor because that tends to make them stick around equating people with nuisance animals like squirrels or other vermin. Some church groups were ticketed and fined. Isn't drug abuse and mental health issues the number one reason though for homelessness?

johnnyrock likes this.
  8. nitro

nitro

Yeah there are all sorts of rules:

http://minimotives.com/2014/06/25/where-can-you-park-a-tiny-house/

Re: homelessness, for sure those two are big issues. But what I am asking is, would you rather treat sick people like stray animals or at least provide them with some sort of reasonable place to live that is inexpensive. Treating it as a medical problem is a step in the right direction, imo. The next part is compassion, and the final part is economic and social.

The real problem isn't the money, it is that most communities don't want these sort of people anywhere near them. Hard to blame them. No easy answer, but it breaks your hear to see people in the streets living under bridges and begging for food :(

Vets and the elderly are particularly vulnerable, and more and more people are in this state of existence. Imo, unacceptable.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    johnnyrock and i960 like this.
  9. I bet that would suck pulling that on an open stretch of interstate on a windy day

10. Xela

Xela

Societal reactions to some kinds of mental illness certainly predispose toward homelessness. I think homelessness only appears to predispose toward mental illness, but the causation underlying social outcomes is never trivially easy to determine, attribute or understand.

It's not so much the size of those that concerns me as their apparent lack of robustness and stability. (Are they really "easy to heat"?)

#10     Mar 9, 2016
    DblArrow likes this.