Can the broker know where I am physically trading from?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by 3acor, May 27, 2019.

1. 3acor

3acor Guest

Can the broker know where I am physically trading from?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes. They can record your IP address if they want to when you connect to their server.

Why?

3. 3acor

3acor Guest

ok thanks!

4. 3acor

3acor Guest

Are you allowed to trade from another country?

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I see you are from Canada. We do not care where you trade from. You can travel where you please. Your regulator has laws that make it hard to offer brokerage services if you are a resident of Canada without our broker being registered in Canada. It would not matter if you trade from another country. It is hard to meet requirements with a Candian passport living in another country to avoid this.

6. 3acor

3acor Guest

Ok thanks for your response. I appreciate it :)

7. Sig

Sig

Keep in mind a VPN can be used to show that you're located pretty much wherever you choose, regardless of where you really are. Helpful for any location restricted service.

8. ProForex

ProForex

Yes.. because of IP address .. and as everyone says best option is to get a VPN if you want to mask your location..

3acor likes this.
  9. If you are hiding where you are trading from it raises red flags - money laundering, tax evasion, share manipulation and more. You should ask your broker if you can hide your IP address and see how long you remain a client !

3acor and ProForex like this.
  10. userque

userque

Imo:

Typically, brokers aren't using your IP address to confirm your residence. They confirmed your residence when you opened the account.

If they are/become concerned about your IP location, it's because they want to be sure your account isn't being hacked.

Also, most times, most businesses know the difference between a VPN IP address and a non-VPN IP address. IOW, most times, they can know who's on a VPN ... if they care.

#10     May 28, 2019
    3acor likes this.