Can Strategy Trading Work?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Corso482, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I think there are distinctions that need to be made here. There are certain tasks within accounting that are indeed better suited for computers to do. And there are several programs that do just these tasks. But I'm talking about the most complex aspects of accounting that still necessitate a human accountant (not just data entry). admittedly, I don't know much about accounting. However, I do know that if it were possible to get rid of human accountants and replace them with computers, corporations would do it, it's simple cost cutting. Yet they haven't done this, and human accountants still exist and are paid very well. Therefore, there must be some aspects of accounting that cannot be done by computers.

I'm guessing that it is the same with trading. Certain styles of trading are more suited for computerization e.g. arbitrage. And certain aspects of any trading style would probably be better suited for computerization e.g. anything involving heavy math. But there maybe be trading styles out there that are not best suited for computers, just like in accounting there are still some tasks that need to be done by humans. I guess it all depends on trading style. But that's my point, to say that all trading is best computerized and backtested is suspect. Maybe there are some trading styles that aren't suited toward computerization.

#21     Oct 22, 2002
  2. smokey_mcPaat

smokey_mcPaat Guest

are you kidding me? who has a strategy these days? why in earth would you want one?? all you have to do is pick your stock, flip a coin to go long or short and get your position on- hell, you can trade anytime that you feel the impulse- you just need to have good trade and money management skills......its that easy!!! send $199.95 and i will tell you how you too can trade your way to financial freedom with a computer and a simple game of heads/ tails, don't delay, call today!!!!! start making your first profitable trades tommorrow!!!! you can't lose with my proven system..

here is a testimonial:
    "i used ta be addicted ta cwack den i picked up dis hereah manwel and i lernt bout da stizock margget biatch!!! den i did one dem trades smokey told me bout and kazzaaamm- it was like that time i dwank two dem Colt 45s and hit da jaggpot on dem nickel slots machines!! booya!! i means, cmon, now, i used ta be diccted ta cwack, now i a twada and i drive one dem big caddylacs and got all da hoes on deez nutz!!! thanks smokey!!! YOU DA MAN!!! everyones needs to runs out and get dat system you gots dere- it so eazzy!! --- Tonto Goldstein. --former crack addict now worth $$ 7 million

#22     Oct 22, 2002
  3. JWS11

JWS11

I've met many successful traders and all of them were either trading one or more well defined, mechanical systems, or they had one or more well defined strategies to trade off of.

So, the system was either in their computer, or in their heads.

I like well defined strategies and (semi) mechanical systems. But I never follow the signals blindly, I always pass them through my mind's filter and see if there's a chance that they may make sense.

It doesn't necessarily help me improve my returns (as I've confirmed repeatedly post de facto) but it surely helps me sleep better :)

#23     Oct 22, 2002
  4. flier6

flier6

When the system diverges you start tweaking the parameters and testing it with small positions? How often do you typically have to do this for your intraday systems?

Thanks

#24     Oct 22, 2002
  5. Correct; but we just turn the size down and try to figure out what changed,

Maybe 9-12 months ...

#25     Oct 22, 2002