Can stop orders be seen?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by mlsignups, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Multiple positions should hedge each others and insurance could be bought with discretion. If u have 5-10 pos u can always monitor them by keeping the order book open for each one of them.

#11     Feb 4, 2006
  2. urep

urep

Assume that they probably can be seen. Although brokers say they can't see them, it doesn't mean there computers can't see them. It's kinda like "our research and trading desk have a chinese wall between them" argument that large trading firms always use i.e. you have to take their word for it. Unless there is some regulator that goes through a company's computer code line by line how could anyone really know?

The second part of this may be that they cannot see them but design their trading systems to look for stops once a retail client takes a position. One would figure if it was truly a random marketplace that your trades should go your way as often as they go against you on average. This will not happen.

#12     Feb 23, 2006
  3. alanm

alanm

Quote from urep:
    The second part of this may be that they cannot see them but design their trading systems to look for stops once a retail client takes a position.

Why would someone risk their business to do something so blatantly illegal, and which would likely not be all that profitable anyway, given their knowledge of only a few stops out of a whole marketplace? If it were your firm, would you?

One would figure if it was truly a random marketplace that your trades should go your way as often as they go against you on average. This will not happen.

Not unless your trades are random, too, which they aren't. There were a number of "monkey picks", "tea leaves", and "throwing darts" stock-picking articles during the bubble with some amazing results.

#13     Feb 23, 2006
  4. urep

urep

Yes I'm assuming randomness and meant no disservice to the monkey's. Over time (days to months) I think what I'm describing is daily noise, so I'm referring to when you take a position and what happens immediately after this in the next few hours to days depending on the liquidity.

#14     Feb 23, 2006
  5. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

nope.

i have nothing to prove to anyone here.

making money is my concern, not impressing some anonymous people who i shall probably never meet.

besides, im in & out so quick that i could only post after the trade - and we all know what folk who do that are called!

#15     Feb 23, 2006