can someone tell me what can i do with my economics degree

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by danielrafique, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

"can someone tell me what can i do with my economics degree"

Got any KY-Jelly?

#21     Aug 24, 2008
  2. Not so sure about that one....:confused:

#22     Aug 24, 2008
  3. www.usajobs.gov govt hiring lots o people since boomers are retiring,,good benefits, pension,,

#23     Aug 24, 2008
  4. Banana14

Banana14

I generally have the opinion that an MBA is only really valuable if you have 5 or so years employment experience after graduation. As I understand it, most of the good MBA schools look for this in their entry requirements. When I was at business school colleagues on the MBA were mostly in their 30s.

Having completed a PhD, I would recommend some caution in pursuing one of these and have always wondered whether I would recommend this to others. I'm coming to the conclusion that experience counts for a lot more than the types of learning you experience during advanced study. Of course, you learn some useful things, such as project management, pursuing something of interest, or interaction with industry (if you're doing an industrially oriented PhD), but the payoff does not always seem so strong to me.

Naturally it also depends on your overall objectives. It could be seen as an opportunity cost, in that you forego current earning potential for later rewards. In many cases, you might never actually realise these rewards, especially if you decide to stay in academia, or in the public sector. However, on the other hand, and as another commentator mentioned, it can be a useful springboard for consultancy work. For me academia and the public sector were nightmare sectors, so I'm now in the process of trying to escape by expanding on the consultancy work I'd first started doing during my postdoc, and trading on the side.

One good thing about a PhD is that it teaches you some self discipline and capacity for pursuing self study, which I'm now doing with trading.

#24     Aug 24, 2008
  5. cstfx

cstfx

Teach.

#25     Aug 24, 2008
  6. Create your own economic theory. Start your own business. You can either be a gamesmen or a corporate man. If you want to work under someone else doing simple planned stagnant tasks then be the corporate man.

#26     Aug 25, 2008
  7. Economy: from the greek oikonomia (οἰκονομία) designates mainly the oikos (οἶκος), meaning the home or hearth.

Become a stay at home dad.

#27     Aug 25, 2008
  8. does anyone have a simple method for choosing the best frontier market investment that they would like to share?:cool:

#28     Sep 17, 2008
  9. Try to realize you learned mostly fairytales in university and start studying Austrian Economics.

Do so with open eyes and mind.

#29     Sep 17, 2008
  10. the door is wide open with a B.A. in Economics....from cooking burgers....delivering pizzas, taking out the garbage in high-class 5 star restaurants......in other words, it's the S-H-I-T. it'll be hard to find a high paying job in this market condition.

as far as daytrading......i think college degree helps being discplined, but not necessarily BA in Econ.

#30     Sep 17, 2008