Can someone tell me the symbol for chinese Index Futures ?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by trader12, Dec 5, 2012.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

First of all, I don't like eSignal via an unrelated problem involving billing but I have to use them because they purchase my data vendor. Thus, now eSignal is the parent company of one of my data vendor sources.

Secondly, I don't know where you're getting your symbology list because you have so far not been specific other than to imply in general terms you got it from eSignal or Google research.

In contrast, I still recommend you should specifically talk to their tech department like I did after I notice so much outdated info floating around on the internet from my Google research along with the updated information on the internet. Thus, maybe eSignal doesn't have a way to remove the old info from search engines like Google especially via the fact that many traders are "reposting" the old info at eSignal forums in their efforts to help someone looking for info. Also, they may be seen as censoring if they start DELETING old message posts by members because the info is outdated. :D

Did you call their tech department via the free 1-800 number ???

By the way, ticker symbols from sources outside of eSignal that are different in symbology in comparison to eSignal symbolds is not going to help you get access to the data on eSignal.

I say this from +20 years experience about foreign indexes and foreign futures outside of North America markets. Also, I say this because I use 3 different data vendors...they all have different foreign symbology for index and futures.

Therefore, its not an eSignal problem. The issue is that data vendors all over the world have NO standard. That's why Bloomberg uses its own special symbols, CQG uses its own special symbols, TOS uses its own special symbols, eSignal uses its own special symbols and so on.

The key to talking to eSignal is to specifically use the name of the index you're looking for. For example, I wouldn't recommend calling their tech department and asking for "China's stock index" if you didn't know there are more than a dozen of them. My point, you need to specially say for example....what is the index symbol for "SSE Composite Index".

I say that because I notice you didn't mention any specific names of China's indices in your initial message post. Is that the reason why you're having problems finding the symbols for eSignal ???

Anyways, I didn't have any problems finding them and I use eSignal. I think I didn't have problems after I became more curious yesterday after your initial questions.

Yet, I was on hold on the telephone for 3mins before I got my answers. I then used Google to see if I could find the same info...I did and it was located at eSignal website. Search on Google took about 2mins.

P.S. eSignal parent company purchased several different data vendors that used different symbols from each other. I suspect some of differences we see in the symbols online is due to directories from one of those companies that was purchase and the directory now has eSignal name on it. For example, an old QCharts symbol directory is now called eSignal.

#11     Dec 7, 2012
  2. zdreg

zdreg

+1
    "Search on Google took about 2mins."

#12     Dec 7, 2012
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Actually, it took only a few seconds but the rest of the 2mins was used to verify the information I was reading by plugging the symbols into my data vendor platform to see if it worked.

eSignal shows +140 different indices in China and I was only verifying the 5 most popular ones I knew the specific names off the top of my head.

SSE Composite Index
    SSE A-Share Index
    SSE B-Share Index
    SSE Industrial Index
    SSE 180 Index
    * CSI 300 Index

#13     Dec 7, 2012
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

First, I want to say that I didn't see an earlier post by you in which you specifically stated you had called them.

With that said, none of my data vendors (including the one from eSignal) uses the term "Singapore strait times index futures" nor use "Singapore strait times index". In contrast, all of them (including eSignal)...uses the SGX exchange or just SGX that represents the Singapore exchange.

Lets pretend I didn't know the above that the Singapore Straits Times Index was sometimes called just SGX. Using Google...I typed in the keywords "Singapore Straits Times Index" and on the first page it gave me the following link...

http://www.sgx.com

On the left side I see the primary exchange of the index as SGX.

Going back to eSignal website @ http://quotes.esignal.com/esignalprod/search.action

I type in the key word SGX (see image below) and I get stocks, futures and future options listed on the SGX exchange including their symbols. I suspect you're looking for the "Futures" of the Singapore Straits Times Index.

That symbol as shown at the eSignal symbol lookup website is "IN 2Z-SGX" for what's commonly called SGX CNX Nifty futures. Actual specific symbology when you click on it at the eSignal website is "IN+2Z-SGX". I then inputed into my eSignal platform and it worked. Next, I then looked up the futures of the Singapore Straits Index with my other two data vendors not associated with eSignal and they both use the title "SGX CNX Nifty" although their symbology is different.

Yet, the eSignal charts with their futures charts of the Singapore Straits Index are almost exact in today's quote but eSignal doesn't have a good historical data unless its a recent contract rollover issue.

That above entire search process took about 3 minutes max to find the symbol and verification via charts. In addition, it took another 2 minutes to create and attach the chart to this message post (sarcasm). I now strongly suspect you're just not searching Google and eSignal website properly.

Note: Bloomberg and CQG have different data than the data via eSignal when comparing the index (not futures).

#14     Dec 7, 2012