Can someone please, for the love of god, explain me why...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chaykapwr, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Everyone in this occupy wall street movement says the Founding Fathers did not intend the country to be like this...and this is America and wall street shouldnt own it etc etc when the founding fathers were rich beyond belief? I mean George Washington would be worth 500 million in todays dollars. this is exactly what the founding fathers wanted. Its like saying, we should ban sodas because thats what Coca Cola would want us to do! :confused:

2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Evidence? Hard numbers? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Thos country started with HEAVY tariffs against goods made overseas. They sure as hell didn't help fucking corporate robber barons ship jobs overseas like they do today.

3. George Washington (1789-1797), $525 Million, His Virginia plantation, "Mount Vernon," consisted of five separate farms on 8,000 acres of prime farmland, run by over 300 slaves. His wife, Martha Washington, inherited significant property from her father. Washington made significantly more than subsequent presidents: his salary was two percent of the total U.S. budget in 1789.

Let me bold this for you so you dont have to read all of it

his salary was two percent of the total U.S. budget in 1789

Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809), $212 Million, Jefferson was left 3,000 acres and several dozen slaves by his father. "Monticello," his home on a 5,000 acre plantation in Virginia, was one of the architectural wonders of its time. He made significant money in various political positions before becoming president, but was mired in debt towards the end of his life.

James Madison (1809-1817), $101 Million, Madison was the largest landowner in Orange County, Virginia, with land holding consisting of 5,000 acres and the "Montpelier" estate. He made significant money as secretary of state and president. Madison lost money at the end of his life due to the steady financial collapse of his plantation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/21/the-net-worth-of-the-amer_n_825939.html

Shall I continue?

4. sumfuka

sumfuka

Everyone assumes that the founding father(s) would want the U.S. to stay independent forever. However, if any of the founding fathers are alive today, they would be damn proud America is the way it is. For such a young country to become #1 in the world in such short time is phenomenal.

They might be a bit upset about the personal freedom tidbit. But who's to say that the earlier settlers didn't give up some personal freedom at a time of war against the British.

It's a different era, people just can't accept it.

5. kut2k2

kut2k2

No need. That's hardly "rich beyond belief" when this country now has billionaires in the double digits. And except for the slavery (a HUGE exception admittedly), the Founding Fathers never intended for people to become rich at the expense of the working class. Hence the huge tariffs I mentioned, which you've chosen to not comment upon. The GOP has become the party of and for plutocrats, something else that I'm sure would appall most of the Founding Fathers.

6. Name one president after 1850 that was worth one tenth of George Washington. Politicians aren't meant to be rich , inventors and entrepreneurs are. If Obama was worth 500 million they would be at the white house not wall street

7. Hzeham

Hzeham

And then some.

8. kut2k2

kut2k2

That's a good reason not to vote for Romney or the other superrich Repubs.

9. Missing the point entirely...If you cant understand that the Founding Fathers wanted an elitist ruling this country, based on slavery with only the "Intelligent" people being able to vote, then I recommend you reread your history.

10. lindq

lindq

LOL. This is a trading site and you folks are bitching about wealth?

#10     Oct 17, 2011