Can someone please explain...

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by 3dawgs2533, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Ok, so I went long with one contract of /ZL on Monday night. Cost me $600 + comm. to get into the trade, blah blah. Things didn't go my way so much, and despite being ahead by a mere $90 when I decided to get out last night, when I sold I only got the $90 back, and not the original $600. Where'd my $600 go??

Thanks.

2. speedo

speedo

Not enough info. Appears you used max margin to enter the position. Were you short or long, what was entry price and what was exit price?

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Show us the statement, and we show you the truth.

Nobert and tommcginnis like this.
  4. speedo

speedo

Better yet, I was making the possibly naive assumption that there WAS a position.

5. Turveyd

Turveyd

Sounds like your miss reading it, you don't make +$90 profit, your losing $510 + comms but haven't came to terms with the loss size yet.

6. maxinger

maxinger

PLEASE WRITE CLEARLY !!!

7. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

What do you mean it cost you $600 + commissions to get into the trade? was it an option or are you referring to the margin?

8. Guys, I’ll get back with more info later tonight after work, thanks.

9. gaussian

gaussian

Like everyone else said post your statement on the trade.

When you post margin on futures you don't "lose" the margin. It's basically (put simply) a performance bond that the broker monitors as a signal to yank you out (realistically, issue a margin call and THEN pull you out).

If you only got $90 (your alleged profit) and lost $600, you were down $510.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  10. joederp

joederp

Bong hit.

#10     Oct 23, 2019
    taowave and Overnight like this.