Can someone help me to use this?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by jdkgroup, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Heheh. Does your moniker subliminally express your initial evaluation of others? An alternative vantage point begs to accept others at face value first, and then to ascertain succeeding impressions from additional input. The 'ole "different strokes for different folks", I guess. Cheers ...

#41     Jan 6, 2008
  2. screen1: bond/note futures

screen2: ES/YM/ER/NQ/NK

screen3: currencies: usd/jpy,eur/usd, gbp/usd 60 minute

screen4: trading instrument(ES only 240 tic chart), this screen should be where you naturally look at when looking at your setup.

screen5: 240minute/60minute/5minute ES

screen6: newsfeed/newswire screen

screen7: broker platform1

screen8: broker platform2

screen9: atomic sync clock...world clocks times... streaming music/visualizations

TV 1: bloomberg
    TV 2: cnbc
    TV 3: cnbc-asia/cnn
    TV 4: HDTV/bluray-nature/surfing dvd

Lighting: overhead metal halide lights, these lights will simulate natural daylight and will sync your biorhythms. Good for indoor plants.

ventilation: airpurifier

food: fruits n veggies, no carbs or protein..during trading hours..

3 laptops with broadband cards

bedside
    bathroom
    car

atleast 2 hardline internet access means..FIOS/cable/wireless home router

#42     Jan 6, 2008
  3. jdkgroup,

I have been thinking about your request and how you should approach this ever since you started this thread.

Learning a trading method/how to trade in a couple days is unrealistic. Intraday trading is alot more challenging than swing trading (3-15 days) as well.

I have been swing trading for about 20 years, the past 10 years online and although I am totally impressed with your setup, I don't think I could handle so many screens. Information overload.

What I would recommend for starters is the following.

1) Use 2 or 3 screens max.

2) Look at some growth stock charts and decide where you would have entered those trades and where you would have exited.

3) Get software that has fundamental screening capability (to identify strong growth stocks) and with some prebuilt trading strategies included, and play around with them to determine which strategies will give you your approx desired entry points.

4) Trade long only, no shorts on individual stocks, newbies get burnt badly shorting. If you feel the need to short, short a sector or Market ETF, or buy a short ETF. Look at a 30 year chart of the S&P to understand what I mean. Markets go up, period.

5) Money management is extremely important. Read articles/books whatever to understand the concepts of how much to risk on an individual trade, and how you should calculate your position size. Your mid 6 figure account is way to large for starters. Trim that back to about 100k and no more than 5 or 6 positions to monitor at a time, 15% - 20% in each trade.

6) Do not use margin until you have a successfully track record over, say a year.

7) You desire to earn 2% per month is totally realistic and can be achieved, but not on the entire 500k wad for at least a year or 2.

Good Luck!

#43     Jan 6, 2008
  4. Cheers mate. It is a skill and a curse. Controlling it is by no means an easy task.

cabletrader... Why would anyone posting a thread seeking help post his trading setup in it? It seems the main attention(even the title of the thread) is directed toward his system. :p

And surely, there is a reason for this man's post... http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1675796#post1675796
    Flip a coin... Heads, I win.. Tails, you lose. :p

#44     Jan 6, 2008
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmmmm.....I'm thinking the Joker might have a point here.

#45     Jan 6, 2008
  6. Why?, The Man has money and bought himself a nice setup, so what!

Haven't you ever bought something you needed to learn about AFTER you bought it?

How about those golf dudes that buy $2,000 custom fit clubs and have 30 handicaps? Then they spend thousands on Golf memberships and lessons. What is the difference?

Get a grip, your jealousy is oozing from your posts.

#46     Jan 6, 2008
  7. Yes, I do regret that time I bought one Boeing 747. Even though I was not a pilot, it was very easy to learn. Landing was the easiest part. But it was too small for my garage, so I purchased 8 more!

Oh and believe me condorll, there is no reason for me to be jealous. You can read my prior posts as I do not even require a single monitor to trade. I try to keep it as simple as possible. A phone line and a ticker tape is all I need. :p

But lets not make this about me. Please continue with whatever...

#47     Jan 6, 2008
  8. Your immaturity shines through.

#48     Jan 6, 2008
  9. Why thank you.
    I take that as a compliment. Clearly you are stating you are more mature than me. But then, who is actually showing off their immaturity? Whoops! lol

Lets continue this in a PM. I would love to listen to your wise words all day long!

#49     Jan 6, 2008
  10. Pita

Pita

hi jdk,

I would suggest that you invite a few guys who claim to be good and profitable to your place for a few days. 2-5% a month is an easy shot.
    I didn't see Cowboyland for quite a while.

#50     Jan 6, 2008