Can someone help me to use this?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by jdkgroup, Jan 5, 2008.

1. I'm guessing you have a decent sized account. I would suggest swing/position trading, mixed with some covered option selling.

Not sure you want to bang it out everday making 100's of trades. A lot depends on your personality and what you feel comfortable with.

#11     Jan 5, 2008
  2. jdkgroup....looks like you already had some sort of help in setting up your office. Why would a beginner trader set that up?

#12     Jan 5, 2008
  3. MGJ

MGJ

Gosh your trading rig seems so ... antiseptic. No pictures on the wall, no pictures on the desk (kids / wife / SO / dog / parents), no 3M Post-It sticky notes, no coffee cup, no wastepaper basket, and no notebooks. It's almost like an art director's concept of how a trading room should appear. But if you like it, great. You don't have to please anybody but yourself; to each his own I suppose.

I suggest you use the Search facility of ET to look through previous threads where someone tried to solicit a mentor. There have been many. I suggest you take note of the approaches attempted, the remunerations mentioned, the recommendations made (which were frequently ignored), and so forth. It's a valuable education and the price is cheap! Learn from the experience of your predecessors. Let them take the knee to the groin, so you don't have to.

#13     Jan 5, 2008
  4. tradethetrade

tradethetrade Vendor

You did the right thing by posting here. What matters is what you make out of it. I made a pretty similar post here about a year or so ago and trust me it saved me thousands of dollars and hours because I found a mentor on ET who taught me the basics. Exactly what you want right? Humility and eager to learn from someone will take you far in any course of life.

Do you want to trade futures, forex, equities, options...??? You need to research about each and find out the one that fits your style then you can go about finding a mentor.

You are new here so I suggest you use the search function where you will find a couple similar posts here.

#14     Jan 5, 2008
  5. dis

dis

100%. My advice: start trading 100sh of SPY, and concentrate on not losing too much money in the process. :)

#15     Jan 5, 2008
  6. It's refreshing to see someone approaching this from what I believe is the right angle, you're not simply asking for help, you're telling people why you believe you would be worth helping.

I'm in fx so not much good to you but points 1 and 4 seem to ring true from my experience.

The majority of 'students' I've come across either don't want to listen or they simply don't appear to have what it takes, it ends up being a total waste of everyones time and effort, not to mention extremely frustrating. Having said that, teaching the right student and watching them develop into a profitable and confident trader can be very rewarding.

You'll most likely get plenty of offers and requests for fees. I probably don't need to tell you this but just make absolutely certain the person knows what they're doing before parting with a cent, this business is full of people who think they know what they're doing and who seem quite plausible but in reality they're pretty clueless!

Good luck!

Nice set up by the way, very impressive.

#16     Jan 5, 2008

7. Very good advice. Be careful, i have read this board and i see alot of sellers. Here are a few posters IMO that are very good and knowledgeable traders.

Lescor
    PatrickQ
    Szeven
    DonBright
    Red ink inc

"Red_Ink_inc

01-01-08 04:07 PM

If you're going to be trading intraday you have to be able to filter out the 'noise' or 'bullshit'. If you can't see the bullshit in this guy's post, for your own financial safety you should stay out of the financial markets.

If you had done what he's claiming to have done would you be asking complete strangers if you should quit?"

Red Ink inc post that i thought was perfect and i couldn't have said it better.

If i didn't list you iam not saying your not a good or knowledgeable trader i just don't know for sure. Alot repeat what has been said on CNBC or Bloomberg.So what iam saying is Plagiarism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism is all over some posters. One trader who may just turn out to be a monster in a few years is NYOB, maybe sooner.

GoodLuck
    Traderpro

#17     Jan 5, 2008
  8. jdkgroup

jdkgroup

Proximo, I guess ideally I would like to out of most trades at the end of the day, so some kind of intraday scalping..any market...and i did think about starting with some covered calls mixed in as part of an overall strategy, but the economy has me worried about a major drop in the market

Surdo, 2% month or more, and a mid-six figure account, not 100K

forex-forex, ive already lost more in the last 10 days than that setup costs, so i was more worried about having the right equipment...im committed

MGJ, I tucked all the mess out of view before snapping the picture....no pictures on the desk because I knock them off when im working

#18     Jan 5, 2008
  9. jdkgroup

jdkgroup

I couldn't agree with you more....

I ran across John Carter and read his book "Mastering the Trade." One of the things they promote is a TTM indicator....you just buy when the bars turn blue, and sell when the bars turn red....

Really, wow, where do i sign up!!
    And not saying he's clueless, but come on, Im smart enough to know that i cant just follow these static rules and make a fortune ...

#19     Jan 5, 2008
  10. Oh don't get me started, bars, arrows, traffic llights, road maps....I'm just waiting for one with dancing girls and virtual topless waitresses passing out drinks when you have a win!

You've got the measure of this business's seamier side by the sound of it!

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic so I'll leave you to it, I hope you find a suitable mentor and put those screens to good use, just don't have anything breakable in the trading room for the first couple of months!

#20     Jan 5, 2008