can someone give me the holy grail

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by vk60546, Nov 22, 2010.

1. That could be another way to put it. I was referring to the idea that with repetition of trading, over time, will give you experience which all in all is the essence of the holy grail.

#81     Oct 26, 2011
  2. Pretty close. Take a lesson from a crane (bird: great at fishing). Stalk, stalk, stalk, stalk, wait, wait, wait, stalk, wait, STAB!!!!!! Just think of all the "opportunities" he "misses" by not stabbing at the fish more often. At least that's how traders tend to think. In reality, if all his stalking and waiting doesn't get him within a certain range of his target, there was no real opportunity. A crane's failure is not measured by how many fish swam by, but by how many actual opportunities were executed unsuccessfully.
    While directional traders tend to see every trending move as an opportunity (like many fish), the holy grail is to wait for the trending move that comes within your ability to execute successfully. Time and repetition teach you your limitations, but, once learned, you limitations need to be considered as a valid part of your trading strategy.

#82     Oct 31, 2011
  3. When it comes to trades one trade to another looks exactly the same as flipping a coin, but it's not. The percentages won during trades, how long the trade lasted, drawdown and the duration of the drawdown all have to do with what kind of edge you're using.

My daily systems use pairs on qid and qld, and win 0% or more 88% of the time.

My intraday systems based on price physics win 95% of their trades and 95% of their days, but this is due to capital constraints. My research on this system probably would not have more than 10 losing days in any arbitrary 3 year period.

These results are as close as you can get to having a perfect system and probably is something you could call a holy grail.

Both really do well, and to put it mildly the strategy developer doesn't usually worry about implementation until he has his confirmed walk forward results, so now I'm discovering what settings to use before I put these strategies onto some co-located servers.

As far as holy grail, I'm sure you'll hear more from me throughout the years about it.

#84     Oct 31, 2011
  4. Sayid

Sayid